Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my alternator died last week so i figured i'd get something a little beefier and stumbled across one on ebay that was stated to put out 140 amps for 135$ er so shipped. the first thing i thought was that it was one of those rip offs way too good to be true things. but i figured worst thing that could happen is that i get a refund. when it arrived it had a pulley that was almost half the size of the stock pulley so i switched them out, installed it, went to o'riely's and they said it was putting out 125 amps. in my eyes that's a pretty good investment for being cheaper than oem. so if you're rockin a b20a3 and you need some more power check out user more_amps on ebay.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
good buy! Considering your carbed I expected to open the thread and you looking for one! Which my general answer would of been sol. I can give plenty of sources for 3rd gen HO alts that are fuel injected.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
There are several companies that will take a stock alt and max it out which could turn out to be pretty damn strong. So there are always options

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are several companies that will take a stock alt and max it out which could turn out to be pretty damn strong. So there are always options
well this one's on the interweb and if you're like me and only have one car makes it a lot easier to get online than trying to bum a ride around town

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
anytime you can get an HO alt at $1 an amp or cheaper is good

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
anytime you can get an HO alt at $1 an amp or cheaper is good
???

1 dollar an amp... umm... okay then, I guess you get what you pay for, 180 for a good alternator is questionable, 300+ with a reputable company not on ebay fellas

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I paid like $270 shipped for my non ebay purchase that has lifetime warranty. 170 amp. But yeah he got 125 output and it was tested at that. Even with our small alternators they can be rewired for lower outputs like 125 amp by more people so its cheaper. Hell theirs vehicles on the road that have stock 125 amp output alternators that came that way from the factory.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
???

1 dollar an amp... umm... okay then, I guess you get what you pay for, 180 for a good alternator is questionable, 300+ with a reputable company not on ebay fellas
are you doubting the power of ebay? it might be a little risky but there are some good souls out in the world and sometimes you get lucky enough to come in contact with them. i'm still pleased with my purchase no problems so far. it came with one year warranty so in a couple of months i'll see if it's still holding up strong

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
are you doubting the power of ebay? it might be a little risky but there are some good souls out in the world and sometimes you get lucky enough to come in contact with them. i'm still pleased with my purchase no problems so far. it came with one year warranty so in a couple of months i'll see if it's still holding up strong
i think you just proved my point - do you even know the amperage at idle and diff rpms? did they even say how they do their one year warranty? When it comes to something like an alternator I can't advise buying a cheapy with a one year warranty and a nice looking page from a non incorporated business. Custom work - fine, maybe but on essentials like too questionable for me. Have fun with it, and I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm getting the stock one rebuilt. so even if the new one craps out i'll have a spare in my trunk. and it doesnt take too long to change alts. i try to stay prepared. good luck to you too

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
i'm getting the stock one rebuilt. so even if the new one craps out i'll have a spare in my trunk. and it doesnt take too long to change alts. i try to stay prepared. good luck to you too
righto, always keep a spare around heh. Stay clear of underdrive parts to those who are also looking to HO alts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts