Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about installing some 12k hids in my 91 lude... i just wanted some feedback if this is a good choice?... and if anybody knows where to get good but cheap hids, just let me know... thanks

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
Any google search will tell you were to find hids. A few people have done this but not many. You would have to find a way to mount the ballasts and wires so they dont interfere with the popups. And I dont like the color of 12K, you would be best off buying 6K if you really do plan on doing this.

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
Get the H4 conversion housing, Zip tie the wires tight together so they can go up and down, and if you don't have fogs in the 90-91 toss the ballast right behind your fog light plugs.

I did it, looked good then water got on a ballast and burnt it out :( . No night shots but they were 6k.
it would look even better braless, but still thats pretty hot!

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
good but cheap hids,
A cheap but good HID doesn;t exist.

and TBH fitting HIDs into lights that weren't meant for them is crap thing to do.
Use a better light unit with decent bulbs.
HIDs are meant for projector units that don't suffer from giving everyone else a hard time because of the horrible glare they give off.

The way to do it properly is to get a full HID light unit from something that has them as stock and fit that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
12K HID are worthless. That light will be so purple you won't see things as good as you would with a true white color.

IF you plan to install HIDs into an H4 Housing, make sure it's an E-Code housing and not some crappy DOT standard.

The E-Code housings have a better and sharper cutoff line that will not blind other drivers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
12K HID are worthless. That light will be so purple you won't see things as good as you would with a true white color.

IF you plan to install HIDs into an H4 Housing, make sure it's an E-Code housing and not some crappy DOT standard.

The E-Code housings have a better and sharper cutoff line that will not blind other drivers.
I agree completely. I was working on this like 4 years ago because i picked up a set of Audi A6 projectors, ballasts, and lamps. But i crapped the idea after having lenght issues on the projectors and the HID's were going for a premium back then so i sold them.

I recently started looking on ebay and the mercedes projectors look shorter and might be better suited but this is a project that will be involved and take some skill/patience to pull off a nice end result.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i might take a shot at the swap for my sleepys...

i did the same thing back in 97....projectors were brand new....but expensive as fuck and HUGE.

i crammed a pair of fog/driving projectors (non-HID) in my first 3gp and did the sleepy-conversion....but it was a bear.

tho, they were damned cool looking and lit like nothing else. i'll have to dig thru my boxes of stuff and see if i still have those old ones laying around anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts