Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have never worked with a relay before. Im putting my hids in to go with my retro fit but i dont know how to hook the relay up. So basically what needs to be hooked up to the 4 prongs?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
urm... i'll be back with a picture to help :)

edit:
i'm a bit tipsy sorrry but im pretty sure these are the numbers you are seeing
\
86 -ground
85- wire too the positive wire off your oem h1 socket.
30- positive from your batery. (fuse would be good here)
87- to the positive input on balasts
87a. nothing..

oh wait. did u say you had 4 prongs? im sure its very similar to my diagram.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
^ His drawing is correct! Go for it. Making a harness is pretty easy if you have the right tools, wiring and connectors.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
urm... i'll be back with a picture to help :)

edit:
i'm a bit tipsy sorrry but im pretty sure these are the numbers you are seeing
\
86 -ground
85- wire too the positive wire off your oem h1 socket.
30- positive from your batery. (fuse would be good here)
87- to the positive input on balasts
87a. nothing..

oh wait. did u say you had 4 prongs? im sure its very similar to my diagram.
pretty damn good for being drunk lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd just install some HID lights on my 97 Prelude that I bought from my co-worker. They are the "Xenon-Vison" brand (6000K). Had to do some modification to the H1 light socket to make it fit. Besides the mod to the light socket with my Dremel tools, it took me less than 20 minutes to wire the system. Pretty nice. Honda should had made it for the Prelude when the 5th gen first came out.

http://www.xenon-vision.com/

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'd just install some HID lights on my 97 Prelude that I bought from my co-worker. They are the "Xenon-Vison" brand (6000K). Had to do some modification to the H1 light socket to make it fit. Besides the mod to the light socket with my Dremel tools, it took me less than 20 minutes to wire the system. Pretty nice. Honda should had made it for the Prelude when the 5th gen first came out.

http://www.xenon-vision.com/
no projectors? :warning:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
plus, I think projectors looks ugly on the Prelude anyways..
well its ok. i live in tx. i don't have to worry about getting blind by you :crazy::colgate:

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
plus, I think projectors looks ugly on the Prelude anyways..
This is just something that people without retrofits say to make themselves feel better. :grin:

Just like when an ugly person says "real beauty is on the inside" :wave:

·
Registered
70 Posts
well its ok. i live in tx. i don't have to worry about getting blind by you :crazy::colgate:
no worries here. I live close to the police stations. I had to adjust it to shoot lower. My friends in the cars ahead of me (when we were driving) said that it wasn't blinding them. Maybe it just depends on how people adjust it. Plus, got the H.I.D.'s for under $130.00 (all kind) It's almost like buying a pair of PIAA's, just slightly alittle more money.

-Paul

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help and thats a really good job for being drunk!
Im not all done with it yet because i work alot but ill post pics in the retro fit thread when im all finished. Oh and the are 3k hids :p

·
Registered
661 Posts
okay just to bring this thread up from the dead i got a question!

im planning on running 2 relays for my set up (rather than 1 just in case if the relay or fuse goes bad i dont lose both headlights). would this be a proper/good way to wire up the my hids?

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
okay just to bring this thread up from the dead i got a question!

im planning on running 2 relays for my set up (rather than 1 just in case if the relay or fuse goes bad i dont lose both headlights). would this be a proper/good way to wire up the my hids?

You got it!

Only comment I'll make is that you do not need to run grounds back to the battery negative terminal. Just put them under a chassis ground near each ballast, there are several existing ground points to choose from. Remember the further the ground has to travel the higher the potential for voltage drop.

I would use at least 14 AWG wire for all power and grounds to the ballasts. You only need 18, 20 or 22 ga for the taps into the low beam connectors since it only takes about 0.1amps to work the relays.

-JL

·
Registered
661 Posts
thanks... one more question!

anyone who ran the rx300 ballast. theres a brown and gray wire. I'm unsure on which is positive and which is negative.

I've wired a few things in my time, soo gut instinct tells me gray is ground, but I can be wrong.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
thanks... one more question!

anyone who ran the rx300 ballast. theres a brown and gray wire. I'm unsure on which is positive and which is negative.

I've wired a few things in my time, soo gut instinct tells me gray is ground, but I can be wrong.

You'll fry these Denso/Koito ballasts if you hook em up wrong!

All Lexus ballast wires are not the same color! Most of mine have been Red and Black. If you don't want to wait you should search www.hidplanet.com/forums for "Denso ballasts wires" or something to that effect. You don't need to know which color is which just which side is + and which is ground.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts