Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my ballast is not working when its below zero degrees..

Have anyone experiences this with aftermarket hids...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Have you tried switching them to be sure its the balast and not a wiring issue?

With an aftermarket set-up, it is more likely to have a wire rub a belt or rest on a warm coolant line.

Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
most cars turn off the headlights when the starter is engaged (those are the two biggest current demands your battery ever sees).

most HID setups need to be ignited, and that igniter drags a ton of power.

so, if you turn on your HIDs, then start your car, the are basically lighting the lights twice, and cranking the starter once....

that's three massive pulls from the battery in the space of a few seconds...

sometimes the battery doesn't have the oopmh to light those igniters a second time...or it has enough to only light one of them.

start the car......THEN turn on the lights...always the best option.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
He didn't say he's turning on the headlights before he starts his car.
you're right, the OP didn't say he was...he also didn't say he wasn't, therefore it's as possible that he is as it is that he isn't.

I heard its no good to start your car with the hids already too is this true? Maybe you were doin that?
he, however, DID ask about it...so i answered his question without implying it would be the fix for the OP.

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
One of my ballast is not working when its below zero degrees..

Have anyone experiences this with aftermarket hids...
I would also suggest to switch the ballasts to see if it really is the ballast. I live in Alaska and Hids are all the rage up here. I have never heard of that problem here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How long ago did you install the HID's ?? It's a possability that the Ballast burnt out.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
most cars turn off the headlights when the starter is engaged (those are the two biggest current demands your battery ever sees).

I've never seen a car that does this, at least nothing from Japan. Motorcycles, yes...but motorcycles have a MUCH lower amperage battery.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I've never seen a car that does this, at least nothing from Japan. Motorcycles, yes...but motorcycles have a MUCH lower amperage battery.

yeah, i'm not sure what i was thinking of aside from my bike, which makes sense, since it's the only thing that ever has the h/l on when i start it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts