Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been a member for a while on the 2nd gen side of the site. had a bit of an accident with the 2nd gen i had for 11 years.

i looked around for a reasonable replacement with only one thing in mind, i want another prelude. gave it a few days of searching and contacting people and i found a local guy with a 1989 Si down the road from the shop. after looking i noticed that it had a B21a1 instead of the B20, i remembered about a 3rd gen header i had laying around and gave the guy a call.

paid the guy $1200 after a couple days and a test drive around town. it's a little ricey(it has a body kit and motegi m7 wheels that a previous owner installed), but overall not bad to drive to work.

i'll get some pics up sometime later.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Welcome to the 3rd gen family! My first Prelude was an 89 S model. I've owned six 3rd gens over the years and my current one is a 91 Si ALB.

You may or may not know that the 88/89 models didn't come with the b21a1, so that's not the original engine. But it's likely that it's still OBD0, meaning that you still have the original intake and exhaust setup. At least that would be the easiest way to swap a b21a1 into your car. Which header do you have? If it has two o2 sensor bungs in the upper section it's for the b20a5, and if it has a single o2 sensor in the downpipe it's for a b21a1.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you!
i did some research on the engine before buying the car, it was out of a 90-91 3rd gen i believe..
i have a hedman Chikara header. i has one in the down pipe and one in the header.

i'll get some pics up soon

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Yes, the b21a1 was only available in the 90/91 Si models. Not to be confused with the 90/91 2.0 Si models, which had a b20a5.

Are you sure that's a 3rd gen Protege header? USDM 3rd gens either had 2 o2 sensors in the upper section, or a single sensor in the downpipe. None had one o2 sensor in the upper section and one in the downpipe on the stock exhaust. I can't say that Hedman never made a header configured like that, but I don't see why they would have.

Looking forward to seeing your pics. :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
lets start with a couple pics of my 2nd gen

final ride ended in a broken ball joint at 50mph

the 3rd gen journey begins 1989 2.1Si

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
The bung in the upper part of your header is for the EGR tube and not an o2 sensor. Is that a Toyota intake manifold on your second gen engine?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the intake mani was a frankenstein mixture of the 2nd gen A20A3 flange and a Cutlass Calais quadfour intake.

the engine was a turbo build that only got through the break in process without the turbo installed.

A20A3 block
B18C 8.8:1 JE pistons
B18A Eagle H beam Rods
custom ported head
balanced A20A3 crankshaft with polished and chamfered oil passages
ISKY custom ground 232 degree/ 400 lift cam
DSM injectors
MSD boost timing master
MSD Streetfire ignition
MSD Blaster high vibration coil
Polstar capacitor sparkplugs
and a Garrett .60 AR turbo off an Isuzu NPR diesel that was never installed

ill dig this header out sometime and look up some gaskets for installing

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
the 3rd gen journey begins 1989 2.1Si
No such thing as an 89 2.1Si. If your 89 has a b21 it was swapped in. Regardless, good luck with the new lude! :grin: Terrible picture, can you post a better one? I'd like to get a better look at the body kit on that. Sorry to see what happened with your 2nd gen. I'm glad you weren't hurt when that ball joint let go.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know there wasn't a 2.1 Si in 89...that's just why i started to call it the 89.5 Si in another post

saw a 4ws at the junkyard...don't know it someone took everything out of it. head, cams, hood and front bumper are gone from what i can see...i'll go take a better look when i get another day off as well as get some better pics to upload.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts