Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back from the shop today. The clutch was gone, so the shop replaced the clutch master & slave cylinders, bled it out, and it was good. When I went to pick it up, it was great. They said there was still a bit more air to work itself out of the lines, but it would do that by driving it. I drove it all day today and it was fine, until about 5 min ago. I broke down in the middle of the road bc it wouldn't go into gear and my clutch was once again, gone. I checked the clutch reservoir, and it was empty. I went to a nearby store and bought some brake fluid, filled it up, but it wouldn't catch. Luckily I was close to home. I got it home by driving it with no clutch. What the hell is wrong with it? I'll call the shop tomorrow, but damn! Could there be a leak or were the lines not bled good enough? Anyone! I'm getting antsy. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
171 Posts
i would say leak .. fill it up .. keep pumpin clutch to try to purge the lines ..and or bleed it ..check for leaks inside car also ..under carpet by clutch pedal

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
Just got my car back from the shop today. The clutch was gone, so the shop replaced the clutch master & slave cylinders, bled it out, and it was good. When I went to pick it up, it was great. They said there was still a bit more air to work itself out of the lines, but it would do that by driving it. I drove it all day today and it was fine, until about 5 min ago. I broke down in the middle of the road bc it wouldn't go into gear and my clutch was once again, gone. I checked the clutch reservoir, and it was empty. I went to a nearby store and bought some brake fluid, filled it up, but it wouldn't catch. Luckily I was close to home. I got it home by driving it with no clutch. What the hell is wrong with it? I'll call the shop tomorrow, but damn! Could there be a leak or were the lines not bled good enough? Anyone! I'm getting antsy. :icon_frown:
Bad shop, bad! Properly bleed the hydraulic lines when you do a clutch job! I've had my clutch in an old car, and my friends clutch done in his car by a mechanic off hours. Neither of our clutches experienced the pressure loss like this. Check for a leak, if you can't find one call the shop and yell at them for not properly bleeding the hydraulic line for the clutch. Demand they do it again.

If they say no, tell them you're going to report them to the Better Business Bureau, after all breaking down in the middle of a road is dangerous, and their negligence to proper procedures put you in a dangerous position.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
You lost the fluid. It's a leak for sure. Clutch fluid level should NOT change unless you are leaking fluid.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Bad shop, bad! Properly bleed the hydraulic lines when you do a clutch job! I've had my clutch in an old car, and my friends clutch done in his car by a mechanic off hours. Neither of our clutches experienced the pressure loss like this. Check for a leak, if you can't find one call the shop and yell at them for not properly bleeding the hydraulic line for the clutch. Demand they do it again.

If they say no, tell them you're going to report them to the Better Business Bureau, after all breaking down in the middle of a road is dangerous, and their negligence to proper procedures put you in a dangerous position.
Completely right! If they bled the clutch the right way in the first place, there would be no air in the system at all. Go back and make them do it again, this time the right way. Also, check the valve on your slave cylinder(on the front of the transmission) and make sure they didnt just leave it open by accident. Otherwise, trace the lines back to your master cylinder and see if you can find a leak that way.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
It should be a cake walk to find the leak since the master and slave cylinders are clearly visible from the engine bay. Fill up the reservoir and have someone else pump the clutch pedal while you watch for leaks. You will have to bleed it first though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts