Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive tried searching but i got nothing so i want you guys to help me out here.

what is the b20a/a5 most common problem and what causes it to throw rods and timing belt to snap? how can i prevent this from happening?
also more about it.

or at-least tell me a link or something that i could see

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
A rod issue would typically to a worn/ tired motor. This is somewhat preventable with regular oil changes and proper care, but eventually all motors break.

As for the timing belt, if you don't know when it was last replaced, replace it. Also the water pump and crank seal at the same time.

Some get luckier than others on the motors, they are about 20 years old. Luckily imported motors are not terribly expensive if you do have an issue.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
lack of proper maintenace has got to be the #1 killer

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
Yeah that's not a B20 issue, that is driver fail. Poor frequency in oil changes and crappy oil will net you thrown rods, broken timing belts ect ect.
yup. cept oil has nothing to do with timing belts lol.

timing belts need to be changed at 80k mile intervals or sooner.

all engines with timing belts will snap the belt if they are not replaced at or before the factory recommended intervals.

the reason they break is because they are rubber with steel belts. the rubber is only for the grip, the steel belts are the strength. and if you think about how the belt works, it is constantly bending back and forth as it straightens out, then curves, then straightens out, then curves, etc etc...
and what happens to metal when you bend it back and forth? it gets weaker and weaker at every bend, until it simply snaps.
once the steel belts/cables inside the timing belt snap, the timing belt has no structure anymore and just seperates.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Three most common things IMO that cause rods to go:

1. Running on old oil for long periods of time.

2. Running with low oil.

3. Exceeding the motors redline.

and if you combine any of those it's even worse. Most engines that throw a rod have had at least one of those happen to it in it's past.

Timing belts are just a wear item and like said by others should be replaced every 60-80k or immediately if you don't know the mileage on the current belt.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
thanks guys. but what bout rod #3? always heard ppl say its always the 1st to throw.
cylinder 3 is the hottest cylinder, thus causing it to wear ever so slightly faster than the rest.
at least thats my theory. there really is no proof of what causes it, only theories

·
Registered
567 Posts
yup. cept oil has nothing to do with timing belts lol.

timing belts need to be changed at 80k mile intervals or sooner.

all engines with timing belts will snap the belt if they are not replaced at or before the factory recommended intervals.

the reason they break is because they are rubber with steel belts. the rubber is only for the grip, the steel belts are the strength. and if you think about how the belt works, it is constantly bending back and forth as it straightens out, then curves, then straightens out, then curves, etc etc...
and what happens to metal when you bend it back and forth? it gets weaker and weaker at every bend, until it simply snaps.
once the steel belts/cables inside the timing belt snap, the timing belt has no structure anymore and just seperates.
:baa:You know I didn't mean not changing the oil messes up the timing belt. :laugh: I just meant along with poor maintenance scheduling the timing belt will also suffer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
This may be the southern way to look at it, but take care of your car and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
lol, I guess so. No battles with snow around here, just salty beaches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts