Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i washed my car, and waxed and everyhting. Well i had a radiator house break around 3 monthes ago so i decided to wash the hood(under it) and i did spray the engine off...but i have done it before. But now my car stalled out twice, and when i step on the accelerator it shutter and jerks...?


what is wrong?

is it my intake, did water get in my intake? could that cause it?
 

·
HipHopHeadd
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
Don't know if you have the resources but blow off everything with compressed air. I usually stay away from wetting down the intake filter and distributer when spraying down under the hood. If you think you got water in the intake then take out the spark plugs and crank the motor over (Be sure to disable fuel and ign).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i talked to some one that knows ALOT more then i do about cars...and he said to let it sit for a couple hours, with the hood open and see if that helps...


But i drove the car today after i washed it and stuff and IT WAS FINE


but all of a suden it is like shit

what if i disconected the batery for a while, to reset the system?


would that do anyhting or no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
same thing happened to me washed the engine bay then car started stalling like a few minutes of me leaving the car wash. So i pulled the thing over and tried to start it....nope...kept trying car misfired and backfired...called my mechanic explained to him what happened

He says leave the car for like 2hours and he came picked me up. We get there he removes the cai from the throttle body cleans it, checks the distributor, spark plugs and we start it no problems and that was like 4months have no issues since then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LudeNation said:
same thing happened to me washed the engine bay then car started stalling like a few minutes of me leaving the car wash. So i pulled the thing over and tried to start it....nope...kept trying car misfired and backfired...called my mechanic explained to him what happened

He says leave the car for like 2hours and he came picked me up. We get there he removes the cai from the throttle body cleans it, checks the distributor, spark plugs and we start it no problems and that was like 4months have no issues since then.

so basically jsut let it sit, check the plugs and stuff...but let it sit for a while?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
thats what i did and also did you have your car running while washing your engine or was it off??? Well mine was running sucked some water in not enough to hydrolock.I also got my distributor pretty wet!!!causes misfires!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
you guys need to try putting a bag or something over your distributor when you clean your engine bay, this is embarassing. Maybe your intake filter too, depending on how it sits. It will dry out and be fine, just try to get a fan or something to it to speed up the drying process.
 

·
RHD Pimpin
Joined
·
10,152 Posts
You possibly have gotten water into the motor. Take your plugs out, take your fuel fuse out(on driverside kick panel) and turn the motor to shoot the water out. After you've done that, drain your oil as well....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
NONONONO!! theres no water in the engine. and it has nothing to do with your intake... does no one but cruzin89 know how electricity is distributed through the engine???


and if you did clean the engine bay with the engine running, you do not deserve this car.
 

·
HipHopHeadd
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
flamencolude97 said:
NONONONO!! theres no water in the engine. and it has nothing to do with your intake... does no one but cruzin89 know how electricity is distributed through the engine???


and if you did clean the engine bay with the engine running, you do not deserve this car.

Myself and prelude1897 were saying that if he hosed down the intake filter than water could have gotten into the motor. We are not saying that water in the motor is causing his stallling issue, we were just saying if water is inside it is a good idea to get it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i reset my ecu, i put a fan on the engine for 3 hours, i let it sit for 4 hours...and well i have some Grave News.....For any mechanics out there my car does not need you!!!


LOL, but it runs great i just set my clocks and stuff back and took a 20 min joy ride! and it is fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
glad your clock works now :)

I didn't say it was impossible to get water in the engine, but you'd pretty much have to spray it straight into the intake filter right? Theres a long way from the intake to the actual IM and it's not like... downward or anything, so gravity would have to go the other way.. i think

anyway glad your car's fixed man
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Close one huh? Almost sounds like a short of a wire that might have been exposed, but then you evaporated whatever it was sitting in.
I'm god awful afraid to spray any liquid in my engine bay. Just for this reason.
I know to cover the alt, dizz, and any filters, but with all the electronics in the engine I just can't bring myself to do it. Which is too bad, cuz it could use a slight cleaning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
i think an exposed wire is very unlikely, it would have probably blown a fuse or something.

Nobody's done this before? the first time I washed my old lude I did this, I just got water all up in the alternator because I didnt' know any better.

you don't need to be scared to wash your engine bay, just be careful to cover anything that you shouldnt be getting drenched, really you don't need to totally soak it anyway, spray stuff on, scrub, sit, hose off, but you don't need to saturate it.
 

·
HipHopHeadd
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
Lockdown said:
Close one huh? Almost sounds like a short of a wire that might have been exposed, but then you evaporated whatever it was sitting in.
I'm god awful afraid to spray any liquid in my engine bay. Just for this reason.
I know to cover the alt, dizz, and any filters, but with all the electronics in the engine I just can't bring myself to do it. Which is too bad, cuz it could use a slight cleaning.
All you need to do is blow everything off with air when you are done (esp elecrical connectors. The only thing I ever cover is the dizzy and air filter. It is fine to wash down the bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bad news....it happeing agaim...im at school at the momemt...but driving to school was fine for like 5 miles...then it started again....so im not sure


1)will changing the oil fix it?
2)will letting it dry more help?


Any more ideas?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top