Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey this is my first post, umm im planning to get a 93 prelude in a couple months, im getting it in a couple months cuz my rents arnt helping me with any thing so im on my own, so im trying to learn as much as i can before i get my car. What are some things to look for when im going car hunting?? is there anyting i need to know, because im planning to race a bit with friends and i dont want to buy a lude that is some how defective, and i know there are different types so what kind would probably suit the best for a racing style? thnx in advance for any tips

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
For starters, welcome to PreludePower.com

As for car searching, just be sure to make sure everything works and test drive it. You may also want to have it looked at by a good mechanic if you're new to the tuning scene. Don't forget to run a check on the VIN # for accident reports or anything like that.

When looking for a Lude, remember there's 3 types: S (F22), Si (H23), and Vtec (H22). I'm sure you've heard of that, and yes it is all it's said to be. However, the Si (H23 non-vtec) isn't at all a bad choice. That's what I have and I love it. The biggest difference is basically stock for stock, Vtec (H22 - 190hp) takes the H23 (160hp). However, if you plan on going with a turbo setup, a Si (H23) would be your best choice. If not, go for the H22 Vtec. Either way you go, you'll be happy with just the way it handles and feels.

Hope this helps, and if I gave up any bad info, plz set me straight.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
^its not a "type" s.. it's just an S model. the type s is a 5g with 220hp.. big difference.

basically, when you find one you think is good.. well, take it to a good trusty mechanic and let him give it a look-over, possibly even honda.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I meant to say "the types are: S, Si, and Vtec"
Should've use "models" huh? lol
But yeah, thats a big difference. Thanks for the clear up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess this brings me to the point of whether iif i should turbo or not, are there different types of turbo? and what is the estimated price for them.. its sumthing i have to always consider now that i have no support from certain family members...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hey bro I know how it feels, I bought all my own stuff and I'm damn glad it went that way. You'll get much more respect since it's not "daddy's car". ;) Yes, there are a HELLA lot of different turbos. A full kit is going to be around $1,500 or so. You could built a kit for much cheaper, but you'll first need to know about what it's doing and how it does it. Check out the 4G resource thread for some awesome info. Search around a bit and you'll learn a lot, and if you search and can't find an answer, ask us, I'm sure someone will have an answer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeh you take care of it more if you earned it urself... well considering im going to get a 93 lude its going to keep me busy paying it off for around a year so i probably wont be able to turbo it until next year, umm this might sound stupid but with turbo its built in right? like it will kick in at say.. 6000 rpm? and is it sumtimes better to build the kit urself... if you know what ur doing? alright i'll search around, thanks so much for ur help mang

·
REST IN PEACE
16,451 Posts

·
The Good Stuff
3,587 Posts
flylwsi said:
www.howstuffworks.com
that'll tell you about turbos.

kits are available, custom setups are generally better and more tailored to what you want.

either way, plan to spend about 3k just for a turbo setup.
This is the way I'm probably going. For what it'd cost for me to swap out my H23 and get an H22, I can build up a nice turbo kit and get a whole lot more power altough I am considering supercharging it but I need t find out more about those.

PS: Hey fly, thats a good site. Is it stickied somewhere? If not, you outta consider it. ;)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
No problem at all bro. The spooling starts a different points depending on what turbo you have. For example a T3 would spool around 3k (right?), but a T3/T4 Hybrid wont spool untill closer to 4.5k. The lower the rpm it spools at, the better because you get more boost time across the rpm range. And a self-built kit can be much better if you know what you're doing, but the key part is to know what you're doing and know it well BEFORE you start. You'll have plenty of time to learn up on it so start searching now, and in a year, you could know the car inside and out.

Good site Fly, add it to the resource thread if you don't mind. +1 rep.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My info regaurding buying a car is definitely do a VIN# check. When I bought mine I thought it was such a great deal and didnt bother to do a VIN check. I found out 3 months or so later from a free VIN check that my cars mileage was rolled back 75000 miles and that my car actually had 200k miles on it. Don't let that happen to you. good luck and welcome

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so is it that h23 with turbo runs faster than a h22? cuz thast sumthing that would help me choose which one i should go for, i know turbo is alot more fun, ive riden in a rx7 with turbo that kicked in at 4000 rpm, but also the then theres the fact that im still in skool with a gf trying to buy a car... so money is a big issue for me

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
turbo applications are very pricey. without a good tune, you're also going to send your motor down the shitter.

i personally would look for a 4g with an h22, which isn't that bad to boost if you get the cash later anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but i dont know much about cars yet, except what i learned here.. which im slowly starting to understand. so i know the g4 h22 will cost less money but will can it beat a g4 h23 with turbo?

·
HOME GROWN HOMIE
5,819 Posts
2qu1k4u said:
turbo applications are very pricey. without a good tune, you're also going to send your motor down the shitter.

i personally would look for a 4g with an h22, which isn't that bad to boost if you get the cash later anyway.
im gona agree with that.... no and h22 wont beat a h23 turbo... but ur not gona see many h23 turbos around... most likely never.... turbos can get way expensive... the kit could cost u anywhere from 1500 and up and if u dont know what ur doing your obviouly going to have to get it put in by someone which can cost alot.... and if u do boost u need to make sure the h23 isnt beat cus that would suck if you went and spent the money and had ur motor blow up... then u need to have your motor tuned which cost $600+...then an exhaust....fuel system... turbos get very pricey...theres many things to consider... honestly if you are having a hard time gettin the car itself a turbo kit might be out of reach unless u buy it part by part over a long period of time....

go h22 youll love the sound of vtec :mrgreen:

·
Registered
259 Posts
DarkFury said:
How'd u get a free VIN check? I want one to be safe... :p
In like feb. some guy on here was giving out free ones cuz he works for a car dealership. I forget his username but I think it was only for a short period of time that he was giving them out for free.

·
Oh Gee
2,276 Posts
dude.. h22.. IF you can find one.. most 4th gen owners have a h23..

a 4th gen prelude is a good choice. i seem to get complimented at school a lot and turn a lot of heads at the light.:tongue:

and lot of people think its fast.. they tell me all the time, i just dont say anything (cause i have a f22), so civics lay off me on the streets.. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts