Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. The lude I just bought has some wiring issues due to prior owner adding an alarm and a system. Some of its it's a good job or at least not bad but most of its just scary. Wires spliced into wires, wires ending to nowhere, factory grounds missing, new grounds in wrong spots, burnt wires, open wires, etc... I'm fixing as I go but now my dash and tail lights are out but at least my brake lights work...

Anyways, check out the pics and tell me what you see because my eyes are just done... I'm starting to see wires in my sleep, when I sleep that is...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood

Circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Passive circuit component

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Computer hardware Wire

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the BMW Floor mats:cool:
Lol When I first seen them I thought to myself, "wtf who would put BMW mats in a Honda?" But the first time I spilled a drink and started panicking I realized the mats are made to catch spills. They're super thick and have high channels plus they're made of rubber so I just hosed them off afterwards. At least the rear mats are Honda AND rubber lol

·
Registered
1991 Honda Prelude Si ALB
132 Posts
Lol When I first seen them I thought to myself, "wtf who would put BMW mats in a Honda?" But the first time I spilled a drink and started panicking I realized the mats are made to catch spills. They're super thick and have high channels plus they're made of rubber so I just hosed them off afterwards. At least the rear mats are Honda AND rubber lol
In my prelude I think I have like 3 mats on top of each other. I have the og mats then some other ones that the po put it to protect them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my prelude I think I have like 3 mats on top of each other. I have the og mats then some other ones that the po put it to protect them.
That's how I was with my 88🤣

But seriously MY DASH LIGHTS AND REAR LIGHTS DON'T WORK!

Brake lights work great and there's no check lights on or anything. The wiring problems are from a prior alarm installation and system. Also there's a OEM wing on the trunk that was installed by a random person or a sloppy dealer. The dash lights worked when I first bought it but only when the switch was halfway but when turned all the way for headlights to come on, the dash lights went out. Now the dash is out constantly as well as the rear lights (which also worked when I first bought it).

I've cleaned all contacts and replaced all light bulbs. Im in the process of putting missing grounds back and fixing open wires. All fuses look good and I've replaced several just in case.

Please help lol

·
Registered
1991 Honda Prelude Si ALB
132 Posts

Brake lights work great and there's no check lights on or anything. The wiring problems are from a prior alarm installation and system. Also there's a OEM wing on the trunk that was installed by a random person or a sloppy dealer. The dash lights worked when I first bought it but only when the switch was halfway but when turned all the way for headlights to come on, the dash lights went out. Now the dash is out constantly as well as the rear lights (which also worked when I first bought it).

I've cleaned all contacts and replaced all light bulbs. Im in the process of putting missing grounds back and fixing open wires. All fuses look good and I've replaced several just in case.

Please help lol
I am guessing you checked the fuses already? On my prelude I noticed that my fog lights, 1 taillight, licene plate lights didn’t work. It was because a fuse was in the wrong spot! There is one spot in the curse box that looks like it should have a fuse but it shouldn’t. Then my gauge cluster lights didn’t work but randomly started working.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, You should see the wiring mess the previous owner left , I've done some research , some say its the brake and dash light fuse (10 A under the foot well) , some say wiring towards to the radio unit , its very annoying , my last resort is going to the dealer but we know how the are lol, Please let us know if you figure it out

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im 99% sure its the combination switch in my steering column behind steering wheel. I've fixed any open wires, grounds, etc but none were even on the same circuit as my tail lights. I tested every fuse and used a multi meter on the circuits behind each fuse.

The previous owner installed a quick detachable steering wheel and just mashed any wires, including the 3 prongs for the stock horn/ CC hook up, down into the plastic ring. So now certain lights in dash are going out slowly one by one including the climate controls. At first the dash worked but only when the switch was clicked to the middle (running lights) but would go out when fully clicked to turn headlights on. Now it won't light up at all.

So im taking off the combination switch. I replaced the detachable wheel with a stock wheel that was literally brand new. Fingers crossed
Wood Bicycle part Household hardware Gas Automotive exterior

1 - 9 of 9 Posts