Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had recently done a timing belt change and the first time I had used the traditional auto tensioner. Drove about 2,000 miles then I had a bolt snap holding the auto tensioner assembly and it let the tension off and ruined the timing belt. Anyways I now have installed a H23 Manual Tensioner and I have spent several hours on trying to get the belt on but it just seems to be too damn tight! I even tried taking the tensioner off its pivot point which let me get the belt on but I was then unable to get the tensioner back on the pivot point. My Dad and I have fought with it for hours and hours and gotten very close to getting it on but with no real luck. Given, it is about 34 degrees outside and we're working in a cold barn. Thoughts? Suggestions? Also should I consider getting the timing belt slider? I also tried heating the belt up but it didn't help any.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Are you 100% sure you have the correct timing belt? I had the same issue with an Accord once, and it turned out that the belt I had was exactly one tooth too small.

It shouldn't be that difficult to get the belt on with all the tension off of it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I feel your pain. I did the swap and had the same problem. Mine was so tight it barely got on and I didn't have to adjust anything. I used an H22 belt (which might have been the problem) but I did get it. I also had my engine out so that helped. If there was an extra tooth on the belt I think that would have helped. Maybe someone can chime in on what belt is needed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you 100% sure you have the correct timing belt? I had the same issue with an Accord once, and it turned out that the belt I had was exactly one tooth too small.

It shouldn't be that difficult to get the belt on with all the tension off of it.
This is correct, with the tensioner off of its pivot, it is surprisingly easy to get the belt on and off. Triple check you have the correct part number for the belt and make sure you have all the slack out of the belt every where else (make sure the belt teeth are set into the teeth on the gears and not on top of them) before trying to slide it over the tensioner and it should go on pretty dang easy.

This should be the part number you want for the timing belt: 14400-P13-014

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies guys! I was finally able to get it on with a help of a mechanic by sliding a small screwdriver under the belt from the middle of the car and then used water pump pliers to help pull it on. But i really appreciate the help! Also quick question, how often should I check up on the timing belt tension? (tearing into the car)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also just incase anyone was wondering all the parts I used were OEM Honda from ExtremePrelude.com and the belt was correct. It just for whatever reason was a very very tight fit but everything seems to be normal. Should I tighten down the little bolt on the triangle piece like in the picture for the timing belt? Or should I let the spring do the work? I was planning on tightening it down and checking back on it in 20-30k? Thoughts?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
I ended up tightening the bolt (as you described) after taking those photos. I re-checked it after 15k miles and had to tighten things up ever-so-slightly, but everything else looked good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So now I've run into another issue and really starting to get annoyed. The timing belt is walking off of the cams and also riding up again the balance tensioner. Could it be because the belt is to tight? I've tried to take all the tension off of the belt but I think the tensioner might be binding on one of the bolts of that tripod piece. Do I need to shave on it for it to clear and allow full movement of the tensioner? Or why the hell else would my timing belt be walking 2mm off the edge of the cams?!?!?!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also incase you're wondering no I didn't forget to put the washer behind the bolt that carries the tensioners. I also believe I'm using the H23 Balance pulley which has the correct spacing for the manual tensioner as the timing and balance pulleys dont touch

·
Registered
382 Posts
Only time I've seen the belt walk off is from something being bent, usually the long stud that the 2 tensioner pulleys are mounted on. I've been on a H23 manual tensioner for like 6 years with no issues, the belt isn't that hard to get on, just have to put in on the pulleys in the right order and lock the pulley all the way out as shown in the service manual.

Adjusting the belt tension is also covered in the FSM, you just tighten the nut on the tensioners and rotate the engine 3 teeth from TDC then loosen and retighten the nut. This pulls all the slack to the tensioner and you'll see the springs pull the pulleys in some.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't believe that bolt holding the pullies is bent considering its brand new, I finally figured out that my tbelt tensioner didn't have full movement due to hitting on the bolt of the triangular piece to lock down the tension which I fixed. I also torqued down my cam holders in sequence a little past spec because I had taken them off when replacing my cam seals and cam cap plug. I wonder if that caused my cams to sag although I made sure I tightened them all in sequence back to the correctly torque spec. Now that I have done all this the tbelt seems to reside about 1-2mm off both cams but doesn't hang off anywhere else??? Wtf? I'm running out of suspicions other than that my cam holders are bent or my cams are worn? It's a brand new oem belt and water pump

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
You can use the h22a4 pulley with the h23 tensioner.

Also, when I did my h23 tensioner conversion, the brand new belt was super tight to put on, but after 1500kms or so, I had a cam sensors wire snap so I had to tear it all down and putting the belt back on was no issue at all. The new belts will be tight, but if you put them on in the correct order, counter clockwise from crank (crank, balancer, tensioner, water pump , intake cam, exhaust cam, I beleive) you shouldn't have any issues.

The majority of people I know whom have done this h23 tensioner mod with new belt have always had it tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts