Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what do you think? Is my tranny slipping or it is electrical failure? please note that i am experiencing bad launching and weak performance.

please note the 5th second it is clear, but it keeps happening along the video:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
well since its a ss its prolly slipping. i have no idea tho.

if u didnt have the radio on and could hear the engine u might be able to tell better. atleast you could on mine.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
well since its a ss its prolly slipping. i have no idea tho.

if u didnt have the radio on and could hear the engine u might be able to tell better. atleast you could on mine.

What he said. i have no idea if your flooring it or if your just cruising and keeping it steady.

If you were flooring it on flat land and that was happening, then yes it was slipping.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i was not flooring it...I was just keeping a constant speed with a light increase on the pedal pressure...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
my old one would always slip when i was going slow and say i would slow down to turn and then after i turned i would speed up and 2nd and 3rd would usually slip.

it always slipped when i was going slow though the gears, if i hit the gas hard it usually wouldn't slip or at least i wouldn't notice it.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, thats whats happening to me, i dont feel it while speeding...while driving slowly it "slips" i assume?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
well, thats whats happening to me, i dont feel it while speeding...while driving slowly it "slips" i assume?

solution? Drive faster :D

I never had this issue with my old auto (thankfully) so I cant give you any insight on it exactly. but it sounds like what tizza 's had. slipping :(

in case, 5 speed swap in sig ;) :D

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i just assumed the tranny was going to take a shit on me. i never had it looked at. but looks like we both had the same problem, and we all know about the auto ludes so its more than likely failing. let someone else chime in tho.

and to everyone that is going to say shouldn't of bought an auto or fail or shit like that.....most of us bought them without knowing they sucked. and when ur tranny is about to take a shit and u know ur going to be spending 1k+ on it to have it fixed thats not the shit u want to hear......

·
Registered
956 Posts
and to everyone that is going to say shouldn't of bought an auto or fail or shit like that.....most of us bought them without knowing they sucked. and when ur tranny is about to take a shit and u know ur going to be spending 1k+ on it to have it fixed thats not the shit u want to hear......
X2!!! :top:

Whatever happen to those days were people were glad to have the same interest in thier Prelude and talk about that instead of bashing those with AUTO?!?! :banghead:

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
flush refil and top off the tranny fluid. then adjust the kickdown cable according to the manual if it has one. most likely one or both of those combined will fix it. if it still does it, you'll probably need a new tranny

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, tonight i had something weird happening, I was driving and suddenly the "D" on the cluster started flashing! and the car started to drive in a bad way!

Moto, for the flush part, you mean flushing the tranny fluid? and for the kickdown cables, can you explain more please?
thanks

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Yuuup! The D flashing is straight out transmission failing :(

For changing the fluid:

I'm pretty sure flushings a bit different and requires the use of some sort of machine or something..

And you *might* be able to pull a code from the D4 the same way you would for a CEL.
http://www.hondaprelude.to/articles/maintenance/check_engine.html

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Does anybody else find his name unbreakable ironic? lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
yea mine jumps from 1st to 2nd also when your refilling the ATF it says 2.6 qt and 6.4 qt so like which one is it im guessing the 2.6qt?

·
Danny D's second in Command
4,157 Posts
sucks dude hope u get this fixed. but i think u should go along with what motoxxx said and just hope for the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My D flashed a couple times, and the check engine light comes on. Whenever I delete the 3 tranny codes, the problem goes away. Mine may just be an electrical problem. Is your tranny slipping in regular D4 or in tiptronic?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, gona try his way I will post the feed back here..thanks guys

another question: how long do you think this tranny will live?

·
Registered
488 Posts
there a another way you can tell, that how i found mine was slipping and got it rebuild -_-

1) did your car every dies out when driving? ( like for the first time) Only the first time
2) when you drive does the car jerk alot on and off? and does the needle goes up hella quick, but the speed does not?
3) the rpm drop very fast?
4) switch to tiptonic when driving slow = check what gear it is in
5) drive it a bit longer and if the engine light pop on(mostly tranmission fail) and bring it to a shop to check for confirmation

6) you might wanna check if it could be your torque converter ( :D i got a extra one)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts