Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 98 base 5 speed with a bad starter. i bought a replacement and in the process of swapping them, i came across this loose bolt holding some sort of plate to my flywheel.

if i could turn the flywheel back just a bit, i could probably tighten it. any suggestions?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Not good! Its an inverted torx, cant recall which size though. I doubt you will be able to get to it through the starter hole, but its worth a try. Make sure you put some red loctite on there! and check all the other ones. Rotate the engine via the crank bolt counterclockwise. GL

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Thats VERY VERYVERY Bad Brahh. Trust me. drop the transmission.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
its a 10mm 12-point... I had all my bolts come loose on me before. This time round it has loctite and torqued slightly more than factory spec.

·
Registered
311 Posts
are there any symptoms that you would feel if this is happening?

·
Registered
881 Posts
its a 10mm 12-point...
oops, I thought they were inverted torx, sorry for the misinformation OP, thx for the clarification deafy

Symptoms? probably not, if you are hard on the clutch you may get a bit of warping on the pressure plate causing some clutch chatter. If it falls out you will sure as hell know!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good news. I found a way to turn the flywheel. Stick a flat head screw driver into the teeth on the flywheel and use the edge of the starter hole to pry it backwards. Just gotta be gental. Also the bolt is accessable through the hole. So far 2 have been loose. They've been marked as I go. I'll have to go get the proper socket tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
881 Posts
Good, be sure your turning the engine the right way, if you go the wrong way you will loosen the tbelt

Edit: pull the plugs it will make it a whole lot easier to turn.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are there any symptoms that you would feel if this is happening?
actually the way my clutch feels changes while driving. when i start the car, it feels kinda spongy and catches about half pedal or so. as i drive, it firms up a little bit and feels solid, still catching at about half pedal. but sometimes the pedal will become extremely stiff to the point i can rest all the weight of my left foot on it while im driving and it doesnt budge and when its like this, you only have to push the pedal in about a half an inch for it to catch.

dunno if that has the result of all this. i've bled my lines a few times already and arent exactly sure to what point i need to adjust my pedal. so that could be it also.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good, be sure your turning the engine the right way, if you go the wrong way you will loosen the tbelt

Edit: pull the plugs it will make it a whole lot easier to turn.
shit, i was turning it counterclockwise

there were 3 bolts total that were loose BTW

·
Asian Assassin
2,911 Posts
that is really really bad. if i were you i'd dropped the transmission, resurface the flywheel, and get a new clutch kit....depending on how long you've been driving with that loose pressure plate bolt... 10mm 12point. good luck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My mechanic told me that the bolts on a bb6 lude are picky...if ever removed and put back on...if they are torqued just right......the easily back themselves out....should be easy to just retighten it

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
My mechanic told me that the bolts on a bb6 lude are picky...if ever removed and put back on...if they are torqued just right......the easily back themselves out....should be easy to just retighten it
that doesnt make any sense. There is nothing specific about "prelude" bolts.

there is a sequence to tightening the clutch and flywheel bolts to ensure a unwarped/flat fastenening. I've always used locktite blue on both flywheel and clutch bolts and ive never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
to the OP, when was the last time you've changed your clutch? or when was the last time someone messed around with those bolts?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
to the OP, when was the last time you've changed your clutch? or when was the last time someone messed around with those bolts?

Got a new clutch and flywheel put in back in July. The transmission was pulled about 2 or so months ago to put a new TOB in, but I never noticed anything then
Posted via Mobile

1 - 20 of 21 Posts