Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been saving to get a prelude and now im having second thoughts.. I was looking at info about the gas in these cars.. how much does it take to fill the tank? with the gas prices rite now.. (73-80 cents a liter) and is it tru that it pretty much mandatory to put premium in them? and i cant find any threads that answer my question about insurance... Im 18 and i make about 500 bi-weekly... will i survive owning a 5th gen?? or should i start looking for something else..

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I make way less then you and I survive. I can get about 300+ miles to the tank, and thats only city driving. Yes you have to use premium, cause you dont want to cheap out now and have to pay for it later.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Been saving to get a prelude and now im having second thoughts.. I was looking at info about the gas in these cars.. how much does it take to fill the tank? with the gas prices rite now.. (73-80 cents a liter) and is it tru that it pretty much mandatory to put premium in them? and i cant find any threads that answer my question about insurance... Im 18 and i make about 500 bi-weekly... will i survive owning a 5th gen?? or should i start looking for something else..
I get 400-415 miles per tank out of mine, but I think that's pretty rare. It's a Honda, as long as it's taken care of you'll be fine. A non DOHC Honda would be a cheaper more fuel efficient option. I think in Canada you can get the 2.3l non-VTEC engine. Don't buy an Auto either....

·
Registered
139 Posts
we arent going to care if you make 1 million dollars a day or 1 dollar a day, although i might be exaggerating, but youre asking something equivalent to whether children like candy or not.

if my calculations are correct it would take about

11 gallons = 42 liters

42 liters * 76 cents = $31.96 a week atleast for me.

but yes get a prelude we dont care about your living situation.

·
Registered
272 Posts
if you can't afford a honda purely based on gas mileage..i dont know what to tell you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we arent going to care if you make 1 million dollars a day or 1 dollar a day, although i might be exaggerating, but youre asking something equivalent to whether children like candy or not.

11 gallons = 42 liters

sorry.. just wanted to know if I could afford it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I make way way less than you and i just turned 18 and living in florida where ¨live is expensive¨ and i survive with a prelude

·
Registered
384 Posts
i sell crack rock so theres no problem for me i can survive on my own

oh yea

don't get an auto

·
Bearderator
8,519 Posts
hmmmm back in the day when i was 18 my car insurance was about $160 a month for a 1992 Ford Ranger XLT. Dunno about insurance rates in Canada but for gas you should be fine. Don't skimp on the octane either. The engine was built to run on it, so that's what you should give to it

·
Registered
3,062 Posts

11 gallons = 42 liters

11gal? i believe the prelude has a 15gal tank iirc. the empty light comes on around 12gal. it should be closer to $40. converting that to usd and it's around $33. not bad for a premium car if you ask me. but i guess that all depends on your gas mileage since i only get around 280 a tank.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
11gal? i believe the prelude has a 15gal tank iirc. the empty light comes on around 12gal. it should be closer to $40. converting that to usd and it's around $33. not bad for a premium car if you ask me. but i guess that all depends on your gas mileage since i only get around 280 a tank.
its 15.9gal but your only maybe on a good day to fit maybe 80% which is approx. 12.72 gal give or take a gal really

·
Registered
139 Posts
yes if we ever filled up at a gas station only if our gas tanks were dry of it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Id say go for it. They are definately worth it. For the moneyt its one of the most stylish, great performing, and efficient cars you can buy. They are so fun, and the design is timeless. People always think my car is an 04 or 05 :)

i get about 300 miles per tank, and gas is pretty damn cheap right now. You have to use 91, but its pretty affordable, And even when it was in the 3s i could still afford it. You will not regret buying a Prelude, i will promise you that. Really, they get as good gas mileage as anything. I can get more mpg than my friends del sol. Its all in your driving style.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most def go for the 5th gen man! And im not just saying that..i recently bought my first lude this month and you definatley wont regret getting it. It really does depend on your driving style but i dont drive with a consern for my gas mileage and i still get good gas mileage. In about 4 days i put 150 miles( Miami... city driving) on the lude and thats hitting VTEC hard daily and it only killed a little more than half a tank. Thats a 90,xxx mile engine... And you'll have the benefit of not being the generic honda in the streets preludes are kinda rare no matter where you go..a clean prelude is even more rare.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I get fuel economy better than a Toyota Camry(dont know if you have these in the U.S).
And someone said the H23 hes better economy, but thats only if you go to redline often. If you drive to save fuel then they had almost identical economy from factory ratings at least.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I get 400-415 miles per tank out of mine, but I think that's pretty rare. It's a Honda, as long as it's taken care of you'll be fine. A non DOHC Honda would be a cheaper more fuel efficient option. I think in Canada you can get the 2.3l non-VTEC engine. Don't buy an Auto either....
saying u fill up around 13 gallons... ur getting 31 mpg?
dude that would be amazing but unfortunately i cant believe that.
the most i'd say is even viable is like 350 to a tank filling up to like 13 gals which gives u roughly 26 mpg.

goddamnit no fricking way im still getting an average of ~20 mpg. jesus christ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts