Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace my oil pan gasket. To do this you have to remove the exhaust header pipe and flex pipe. Well my exhaust bolts where the bolt to the mani from underneath are stuck like a mother and I'm starting to strip one. I can't reach them without a 8" extension or taking the entire manifold off which I don't want to do. Plus then I would have to take out my O2 sensors which I already broke a lifetime warranty O2 remover on and the other is partially stripped. Then I would have to finagle the entire exhaust mani all the way to the flexpipe out the TOP. That sounds like a giant PITA.

So basically what are my options here. Is there an easier way to get the oil pan on/off?

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
As far as I know, the only way to remove the oil pan is to remove the exhaust. So your problem is that you cannot separate the downpipe from the exhaust mani. I dont' know if this will work or not, but I would try it if I was in the same boat. Disconnect the downpipe from the cat, and remove the downpipe and exhaust manifold bracket bolts. Then remove the exhaust manifold from the head. This may get you enough clearance to move around the exhaust mani and downpipe enough to get sufficient clearance to get the oil pan off. Also, be carefull not to damage the o2 sensors.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
pb blaster the hell outa the downpipe and all the bolts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
let it sit and then it should be much easier i just did this yesterday in my swap and my car was from ny and rusted as hell

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Also be sure to use a new pan gasket, and you use sealant on the corners, and or every couple inches. It will make every thing MUCH MUCH easier, also clean as much oil as you can from both surfaces, trust me i hated doing mine. oh and be careful with how much u tighten the pan bolts they like to strip.

Whats wrong with yours anyways? Dropped lude syndrome?

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
did you spray the whole area? including the bolts how long did you let it sit? I sprayed mine 2 or 3 times

·
Registered
84 Posts
i would spary the shit out of the boltes with some spray^ i also VERY CAREFULLY took a small flat head screw driver and something to hit the screw driver with and very slowly and carefully did a simalar techneque to chiseling and got through the rust. gotta be careful not to hit the pipe or screw up the bolts. took a little while but worked when i had to replace my header.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
spray all around the connection it will help i let mine sit ove an hour to soak in

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
you can also try tightening then loosening or use map gas that helps on stubborn bolts too

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I was in the same boat once. The nut hex began to strip, then I broke it loose. The nut head permanently fixed itself in the socket. I've heated and hammered it but it won't come out.

Just get the thing out and expect to replace. O and don't break any tools.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just did this last weekend. The real bitch is that dust plate on the tranny. Gotta take that off to finagle the pan out... Remember the torque sequence, inside to outside alternating front and back and criss crossing...(haha, make sense of that) You don't HAVE to remove the exhaust at the flex pipe, just disconnect the downpipe from the header and remove the two screws holding it up tight to the pan. This gives you just enough room to pull it out.

Good luck, I cursed a ton and cut my finger pretty bad. Plus ended up with an exhaust leak...most likely because I didn't replace the gaskets at the downpipe... :( Oh well, New header time.

Seriously, this is not a fun task by any means...

I think I stripped a friggin stud on the pan too, but it holds so meh haha.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can do like I did and remove all the lines in front of the radiator, radiator, bumper support, bumper,and heat shield. That makes it much easier to remove exhaust mani and those stuborn bolts that just dont seem to want to come off. It also makes you want to do other stuff while the front end is torn apart.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it's 10:30 and I quit, for the night that is. I unbolted the exhaust manifold thinking if I could just loosen it I could pull it toward the radiator and with the flexpipe unbolted maybe I could wiggle the oil pan out and back in. Nope. Ran into this little guy AFTER I busted loose and removed all the mani nuts. This meant I still had to break some nuts loose from the exact position I was just having so much difficulty with.

So I just put it all back together and changed out the oil filter and filled it back up and filled the tranny fluid too. I drained both yesterday. I have my welding class again tomorrow (yay) and I'm just going to wait a few months until I can make my own custom headers and I'll change the oil pan gasket then.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts