Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and couldn't find anything helpful. I have a 97 prelude SH and i'm throwing a CEL code 23. I've read that often times that the knock sensor can come loose and tightening it can fix the problem. Well the problem now is GETTING to the knock sensor. I've read it's located up and to the right of the oil filter on the back of the engine. My question is, do I have to remove the entire intake manifold to get to it? i can't get to it from the bottom and i can't see it from the top. I really have no idea how to get to it. Also, any pictures of where it is would be helpful to.

Thanks for any help guys, this forum's helped me out a lot over the last 3 years.

-Kris

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes you have to take the intake manifold off. Or you could remove the ATTS unit, either way its a pain in the ass on an SH.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yes you have to take the intake manifold off. Or you could remove the ATTS unit, either way its a pain in the ass on an SH.
And the removal of the intake manifold is a pain in the ass, trust me, me and ^^^^ had to do it on my car, it fucking sucked.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I don't know about having to remove the atts system because I have a base model, but i do know that you do NOT have to remove the intake manifold to remove the knock sensor. I changed mine out while the engine was still in the car.
The ATTS blocks any excess to the knock sensor, Honda tells you to remove the ATTS system to do it on a SH but we couldn't get my axle out so we chose to go from the top.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, i was looking at the intake manifold and it doesn't seem that bad to get off, except for the bolts UNDER the intake manifold. How does one even get to those? i'd imagine if i could get to the bolts under the IM i should be able to get to the knock sensor, it seems impossible to get the IM off. I guess that's the next thing i'm going to have to read up on. sounds like an all day project. thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Damn, i was looking at the intake manifold and it doesn't seem that bad to get off, except for the bolts UNDER the intake manifold. How does one even get to those? i'd imagine if i could get to the bolts under the IM i should be able to get to the knock sensor, it seems impossible to get the IM off. I guess that's the next thing i'm going to have to read up on. sounds like an all day project. thanks for the replies guys.
You better hope that IM gasket doesnt break cause getting that thing off is not fun either

·
Prelude Pedo
3,596 Posts
I've done this a few times. you just need a swivel socket to get to the lower bolts no problem. And you have to remove the oil filter. Just remember where all your vacum lines go. Take pics, label or something. If the IM gasket breaks get a razor blade and some WD40. Good luck, if you have any questions let me know I did this on my SH. And Im about to do it in a coulpe days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sorry for hogging your thread. just didn't wanna make a new thread. I just got a CEL for knock sensor. its a 97 prelude sh with JDM h22a type S. its too dark right now, can't see it. is the knock sensor located behind on the engine under the IM in JDM motor as well? i didn't do the swap myself so i am not sure where the knock sensor on the JDM motor is?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i located the knock sensor on my engine. i can't even see it from the top, i can see it from the bottom but can't even touch it from the bottom. the only way to do this, is to remove the oil filter and in worst case scenario remove the IM. New question: can i drive like that, with bad knock sensor? because i just did an oil change with synthetic oil hate to waste it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts