Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was cruising along and suddenly the engine refused to rev higher than 2k rpm. It would seem to run normally then practically stall and drive about 5mph uphill (Atlanta). I made it home though. I had the check engine light come on and the codes were 1 and 2 which is O2 sensors A and B. It seemed to be running fine so I ran the voltage test on the sensors. They passed the test.

Took it for a test drive and after a few miles it began to stumble, would barely idle. I had to get towed home :unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:

I started trouble shooting today. Noticed the high temp paint on my header was flaking off indicating it had gotten hot which told me LEAN fuel mixture. The engine temp never got hot though.

So I did the fuel pump test using the return hose from the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator. Supposed to get 7.8 oz's in 10 seconds. I got like 7 oz's which is a bit low, but I wouldn't think it would make the car undriveable. I also tried just seeing the flow from the service port of the fuel filter. Seemed to be a good flow. I don't have a Fuel Pressure Gauge so I really can't say every thing is fine concerning fuel delivery.

Any ideas what the problem might be because I'm stumped ?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Has it got a Cat on it?
If so it's possibly collapsed internally.
Those exact symptoms I've cured by cat replacement on Civ/Tegs (amongst others). (our Ludes don't have cats).
It would also give the O2 fault codes.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
x2^
the cat could have melted or broken apart and twisted, blocking exhaust flow almost completely.

also check to make sure the distributor didnt slip.

fuel pressure would be good to know though

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Glad you've got it sorted chap :emthup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts