Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...im taking apart, or at least im trying to take apart my guage cluster, and trying to take out the hazzard/defrozt buttons out. but im not having any luck

heres the image to what im trying to take out. its an 89.

i already took out the three little screws on the top of the cluster, and the two screws behind the foglight and dimming switch. still that thing does not want to go anywhere, and im afraid i might brake something if i keep pulling it out.

thanks for all the help guys, appriciate it

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
There are several clips holding it still. After removing those 5 screws, you need to pull that piece towards you. It will pop free. Just grab it on either side and pull sharply.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Cool, I was hopping you got it in time. I had to find it, sorry or I would have gotten to you quicker.

here the picture that I posted:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
There are several clips holding it still. After removing those 5 screws, you need to pull that piece towards you. It will pop free. Just grab it on either side and pull sharply.
The clips are on the 90-91 models, the 88-89 models have 2 screws holding them in.

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
I dont know if it would be easier to completely take you cluster out of the car to work with it. I have removed it before and if you choose to do that, just remember the 2 screws at the very back of the dash, really close to the window. Also you would need to remove the speedo cable as that can be forgotten.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clips are on the 90-91 models, the 88-89 models have 2 screws holding them in.

do you know of have an idea on how to get to those two extra screws???

i was pulling it and i was pulling pretty hard, so i kind of figure they were not clips, but screws...

on the image i dont see the extra two screws for the 89.

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
do you know of have an idea on how to get to those two extra screws???

i was pulling it and i was pulling pretty hard, so i kind of figure they were not clips, but screws...

on the image i dont see the extra two screws for the 89.

Are you talking about the 2 screws at the back near the window? If you are I used a stubby phillips head screw driver. Gave me just enough leverage to turn and push that closely to the window. You could also try a 90 degree screw driver, might not get the amount of pressure but it is an option.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you talking about the 2 screws at the back near the window? If you are I used a stubby phillips head screw driver. Gave me just enough leverage to turn and push that closely to the window. You could also try a 90 degree screw driver, might not get the amount of pressure but it is an option.

well...not the whole cluster, but just the switch panel. thats what i want to take out. i dont want to take apart the cluster and worry about the speedo cable. i think its a little easy to take out the switch panel, dont you think?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
damn clips are there for good....i cant pull the son of gun out of there...

and i want to take GuessMan for the quick reply.... Thanks Dude...You ROCK!!
Not a problem at all. :satisfied:

You are just lucky I'm at work and have plenty of time on my hands otherwise, if I was at home, I never would have seen this until late tonight

You have to use a little force to get the Switch Panel off after you remove the 5 screws that holds it in. The middle screw in the diagram that is holding the panel in, is a pain to get to, a stubby screw driver works great or like flashman said, you can use a 90 deg. screwdriver, all you have to do is apply some pressure when you turn.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

You are just lucky I'm at work and have plenty of time on my hands otherwise, if I was at home, I never would have seen this until late tonight

You have to use a little force to get the Switch Panel off after you remove the 5 screws that holds it in. The middle screw in the diagram that is holding the panel in, is a pain to get to, a stubby screw driver works great or like flashman said, you can use a 90 deg. screwdriver, all you have to do is apply some pressure when you turn.

well...i already got the three screws on top of the swiitch panel, and also the two behind the fog light and dimmer switches.

and the switch panel is not comming out. your saying that i have to use a screw driver to pry out the panel from the TOP?

or what exactly do you mean?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
ok, now that you have the 5 screws that holds the panel in out of the way, you have to use your fingers and pry a little bit to pop out the panel. It can be a pain to remove. There are some clips that are still keeping the panel in place. I had to pull on the panel pretty hard but BE REALLY CAREFULL TO NOT BREAK IT, the plastic is so old that you might crack it. If you do, I still have a spare that you can have. :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

ok, now that you have the 5 screws that holds the panel in out of the way, you have to use your fingers and pry a little bit to pop out the panel. It can be a pain to remove. There are some clips that are still keeping the panel in place. I had to pull on the panel pretty hard but BE REALLY CAREFULL TO NOT BREAK IT, the plastic is so old that you might crack it. If you do, I still have a spare that you can have. :)

all right man...i'll try to pull it out and try not to brake it. but if i do...i know who to call to get the replacement switch panel. thanks.

see if a can get some pics

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
There have been clips on any 88 or 89 I've ever taken apart. Which two screws are you talking about? There are two screws on top of the gauge cluster cover, but you don't need to pull those if you are removing the piece that aXBOXsucks is trying to remove.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
There have been clips on any 88 or 89 I've ever taken apart. Which two screws are you talking about? There are two screws on top of the gauge cluster cover, but you don't need to pull those if you are removing the piece that aXBOXsucks is trying to remove.
These 2 screws are the ones I'm talking about:

The ones circled in red

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
switch panel is off guys!!!!!!!! yeah!!!!
You see, I was right. ;) Now you should be able to access those screws. Plus you can get to the switches and change out the lights if you wanted to.

Do you have a computer next to your car? If so, that's sweet!! I need to put a WiFi card in the computer at my shop and I would be able to access this site from there and be able to upload tons of pictures.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Those two screws secure the plate (that the two switches are mounted to) to the switch panel. There are two more just like them on the left side, securing the plate for the cruise control and sunroof switches. You can't pull those screws until you get the switch panel off. Don't the 90/91's have the same screws?

Btw, where did you get that drawing? Some of the switches are all mixed up. The foglight and cruise control main switch are swapped. And it has a headlight washer switch.

Edit: I think I see where the confusion was now. I was explaining to him how to remove the entire switch panel, not just the plate that the switches are mounted to. You must have thought I was talking about how to remove just that plate, hence the two screws, lol.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Those two screws secure the plate (that the two switches are mounted to) to the switch panel. There are two more just like them on the left side, securing the plate for the cruise control and sunroof switches. You can't pull those screws until you get the switch panel off. Don't the 90/91's have the same screws?

Btw, where did you get that drawing? Some of the switches are all mixed up. The foglight and cruise control main switch are swapped. And it has a headlight washer switch.
The 90-91 have little clips that just hold that switch it. You just push them in and the clips snap it in place, no screws at all. I guess Honda learned from the 88-89 that is was a pain to get to those screws also so they changed them on the 90-91.

I got that picture from a manual that I down loaded on the net:
http://www.spoonhonda.com/Free_Downloadable_Honda_and_Acura_Manuals_s/119.htm

Maybe something got lost in translation :hehe:

That site has a good selection to choose from.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts