Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had an oil leak for quite some time. This weekend all my oil ended up on the floor of my driveway. I checked everything out and it was pretty obvious that it was the oil cooler seal. I got it off, and it was broken. Now I'm trying to put the new seal on, but I can't figure out how it goes. There is a tab at the bottom of the oil cooler, is the seal suppose to wrap around it. Does it go on the groove thats on the outer most part of the oil cooler?

Any help is much appreciate!!!

·
8====D ---> ( | ) = win
1,663 Posts
Well, I've had an oil leak for quite some time. This weekend all my oil ended up on the floor of my driveway. I checked everything out and it was pretty obvious that it was the oil cooler seal. I got it off, and it was broken. Now I'm trying to put the new seal on, but I can't figure out how it goes. There is a tab at the bottom of the oil cooler, is the seal suppose to wrap around it. Does it go on the groove thats on the outer most part of the oil cooler?

Any help is much appreciate!!!
no it doesnt wrap around the tab, it goes on the smaller groove

hope that helps and yes its a bitch to get t to stay there, but after some good positioning and a couple dozen tries i got it to stay there.
Some people put grease to get it to stay on there long enough to bolt it back on.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
I for one cannot for the life of me get the freaking oil cooler nut off! What are you guys using?!?! The only 30mm I could find was an axel nut and it's freaking huge and doesnt give me any room to maneuver around in there

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
no it doesnt wrap around the tab, it goes on the smaller groove

hope that helps and yes its a bitch to get t to stay there, but after some good positioning and a couple dozen tries i got it to stay there.
Some people put grease to get it to stay on there long enough to bolt it back on.
Exactly what I needed to know. But it seems like the o-ring is too big for the inner groove.

I for one cannot for the life of me get the freaking oil cooler nut off! What are you guys using?!?! The only 30mm I could find was an axel nut and it's freaking huge and doesnt give me any room to maneuver around in there
I used a regular socket and wrench, 3/8" drive with 1/2" adapter.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
i dont know exactly what you all are talking about but if its 30mm you need. try a fan clutch wrench, im sure one of them is 30mm and its very then. you can rent it at autozone

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ordered a 30mm wheel nut socket as I thought I needed a deep socket. This did make it difficult as there's not much space, but afterwards I realised you can use a normal 30mm socket. As said, you can use a small amount of grease to hold it in place as well as oiling the ring as you would do on the oil filter. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
No leaks...nice. If I made add just incase someone uses this thread as a reference that you can also use petroleum jelly to hold the seal in place. It will mix just fine with engine oil and not cause a problem.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
If it was gonna leak, chances are it will at first startup, because if you dont have it in there right, its gonna split again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just did this like 3 days ago myself, it's like a four $ part haha. But it took me like 3 hours haha. Luckily I had that 30mm socket or I'da been screwed.

I did find something out though. Only took me like 2 tries to get the seal in place.

I took the wheel off and reached up underneath the wheel well and got it in place while my dad had the oil cooler bolt ready and in place and it worked great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This was the best $4.00 that I have spent on my GF's car. She got an estimate of $300 to repair the leak. I used a 30-mm 6-point wrench from a deep-well set I bought from Harbor Freight and changed the oil at the same time. A little grease holds the o-ring in the smaller groove while you tighten the large bolt... Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts