Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Prelude enthusiast for some time, my first being a 86 that was destroyed by someone blowing through a stoplight.. but I have a problem with my 92 Prelude that I just got back after it was stolen. They stole the stereo, amp and sub.. but otherwise it doesn't appear to have been damaged.. except there is no power to anything in the car.

it appears that the thieves screwdriver started the car through the lock-barrel so when I got it back I tried the key.. no power at all just like it had a dead battery and low and behold.. dead battery. So I threw the charger on it overnight and tried again.

Threw the key in with a charged battery.. still nothing, no dash lights, no clock, no dome, no headlights.. no clicking like the car was trying but didn't have enough juice. no engine sounds at all. I thought.. well they could have fried the ignition switch when they were running it with a screwdriver jammed in there. So I spent 50 bucks to get a new ignition switch, I would like to hear it run before my insurance totals it so that I can decide if I am going to buy it back.

Installed the new ignition switch today. turned the new switch.. still nothing. no interior or exterior lights, no engine no clicking.. nada, zip, zilch..

I tested the connections on the back of the ignition switch with a multi-meter.. I am not an electrical expert by any stretch of the imagination but it appears that when moving the new switch to each position I am getting power to the switch and the switch is moving the power properly. So I am really at a loss as to what the problem could be.

So, to sum up.. Cleaned battery terminals, charged battery, tried jumping it to my truck, changed ignition switch, inspected the 50 amp fuseable link for the ignition in the engine compartment and it looks intact. power appearing at the new ignition switch.. but no power to anything.

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
There are three wires. One should be a constant hot. One should be an key on hot and the third will only be hot with you turn the key all the way to start. If you have key on power and power at the start position then you need to move on down the line and find where the power stops at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my problem

I have a 94 prelude for some reason my gauges quit working. the window don't work aswell as the sunroof, all of the dash indicators stopped working no turn signals and no hazards. It all started when I was driving and hit a bump which made all the parking lights and cluster light go out. Kept popping the fuse. Someone told me to troubleshoot it with a paperclip so I did worked for 20 sec. Then melted. found a wire on the back of my radio (orange illumination wire) melted cut that off and those lights came no more popping fuse. Shortly after that all of the other problems happened all fuse good but some not getting power. in the cabin fuse box the wiring harness that goes to the turn signal switch had some melted wires replaced that. still nothing could someone tell me anything that applys to these. like grounds relays where all the wiring and power location. Help?

·
Registered
111 Posts
You'll just have to keep looking until you find the cause. Somewhere on this site you can download a shop manual. Look thru that and get familiar with the wiring using the schematics. Check the wiring to the starter. Make sure the connections are good with no corrosion. Just because a retaining bolt or nut is tight doesn't mean there is no corrosion where you can't see it. Make sure all the grounds are clean and tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts