Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently just picked up a 3rd gen prelude, and it's missing the climate control knob. If anyone has a spare or doesn't want theirs please let me know!

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
819 Posts
Good luck, man. That's a rare commodity, like the clock covers and arm rests. If I were you, I'd start looking around for compatible components - several Hondas of the 90s age range use knobs like this of different sizes. The flattened shaft it attaches to is the same on all of them, but the size of the knob might be different. I think I'm using one from an accord, which fit the shaft just fine but is a bit bigger around. It doesn't fit exactly, but it doesn't fall off the shaft, so... Here's an interesting idea for you, since I know that finding exactly what you're looking for is likely not to be successful due to the rarity: The half-flattened shaft is the same as a lot of potentiometers used in common electronics, like stereo volume and tone controls, etc. You can buy knobs with set screws from electronics catalogs that will fit that shaft, although they won't have the light bar around them. Lots of guitar knobs also will fit this size shaft, so if you've got a local instrument shop you might be able to buy a knob from, that's also an option. It might look a little tacky, but if you want it functional and aren't terribly worried about what it looks like, it will accomplish the goal.

Reactions: Rookie199

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
819 Posts
Can you get them there, Blaine? If so, I'm going to order me one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck, man. That's a rare commodity, like the clock covers and arm rests. If I were you, I'd start looking around for compatible components - several Hondas of the 90s age range use knobs like this of different sizes. The flattened shaft it attaches to is the same on all of them, but the size of the knob might be different. I think I'm using one from an accord, which fit the shaft just fine but is a bit bigger around. It doesn't fit exactly, but it doesn't fall off the shaft, so... Here's an interesting idea for you, since I know that finding exactly what you're looking for is likely not to be successful due to the rarity: The half-flattened shaft is the same as a lot of potentiometers used in common electronics, like stereo volume and tone controls, etc. You can buy knobs with set screws from electronics catalogs that will fit that shaft, although they won't have the light bar around them. Lots of guitar knobs also will fit this size shaft, so if you've got a local instrument shop you might be able to buy a knob from, that's also an option. It might look a little tacky, but if you want it functional and aren't terribly worried about what it looks like, it will accomplish the goal.
Thanks man! A lot of great information, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1989 Accord LXi Coupe; 1989 Prelude 2.0s; 1964 Dodge Dart GT: 1993 Kawasaki ZX-11; 1982 Honda CB900
365 Posts
Can you get them there, Blaine? If so, I'm going to order me one!
Depends if you can get a yard rat to go out to a prelude on their lot and see if knobs and such are still there... Most likely not, but I never expected to buy a replacement fan timer for $30 that way either its just an option to try....

·
Registered
819 Posts
Oh, I see - Row52 is like Car-part.com. Pointless around where I live. None of the local yards have anything near as old as a 3g still sitting in their lot. They have recent/late model cars only. Almost anything older than 2000 gets crushed right away in the interest of keeping space open for later model vehicles that they can move parts for. There's no doubt that they get 3gs and similar age vehicles there on occasion, but no one ever hears about it unless they have an inside person working at the lot who tells them they got something in that they're looking for. This situation is only going to get worse as our cars get older, unfortunately. It's just how it is. shrug

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, I just recently just picked up a 3rd gen prelude, and it's missing the climate control knob. If anyone has a spare or doesn't want theirs please let me know!
They sell them on eBay. I got mine for my 1989 Prelude Si on there. It fits perfect and come in an original oem Honda bag with the red label. Let me find the link.

(30 minutes later.....)

Well bummer they are all gone.

(Another 30 minutes later after checking my e-mail....)

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
79608-SF1-003​
Knob, Fan Switch​
$11.20​
1​
$11.20​

Subtotal: $11.20​
Estimated Shipping to 24091 via Economy Shipping: $8.58​
Total: $19.78​

No longer on eBay. You can buy them here where I bought my 2nd fan speed knob.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They sell them on eBay. I got mine for my 1989 Prelude Si on there. It fits perfect and come in an original oem Honda bag with the red label. Let me find the link.

(30 minutes later.....)

Well bummer they are all gone.

(Another 30 minutes later after checking my e-mail....)

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
79608-SF1-003​
Knob, Fan Switch​
$11.20​
1​
$11.20​

Subtotal: $11.20​
Estimated Shipping to 24091 via Economy Shipping: $8.58​
Total: $19.78​

No longer on eBay. You can buy them here where I bought my 2nd fan speed knob.

Ok found it on eBay but there are only 8 left.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
See, now I've searched for those before on ebay and couldn't find ANY. I'm starting to develop a certain genuine disgust for ebay's crappy search function. I'd be willing to bet there are loads of parts for sale for our 3gs on the 'bay that we regularly have trouble finding....and it's just luck of the draw whether or not they appear in any search results. That's kind of bullshit if you ask me. LOL 3g parts aren't the only things I'm having trouble finding on ebay...and I'm pretty certain ebay is plenty rife with some of the other things I've been looking for and is just not telling me. :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts