Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Recently bought a 1992 2.0 SEL 4WS red lude in pretty good condition, except the backbox which is blowing a bit.

My previous rides were:
1985 BMW 320i 12v 120 BHP
1991 BMW 525i 24v 192 BHP

My buddy owned a red lude just like mine and having drive it I knew it was an awesome car, hence the purchase on Ebay (about 740£/1300$)

Im based in the Uk and modified parts etc are tough to come by(from what I gather by searching this site and others)

I have a rough idea of what I want to do with the car, but am pretty daft mechanically, so would like a helping hand!

First- exhaust: I have just bought a stainless steel powerflow exhaust, will take some pics when I take delivery on monday.

Secondly: Suspension: Have a seller offering me Tokico shocks and Cosmo Racing dual spring Evo II coil overs for 130£ (250$)-only 2 months old.
I gather the Tokico's are pretty good for the third gens. Is this a good combo though?
Do you guys reccommend putting coilovers on the back as well or only the front?
He also reccommends a set of fully adjustable ingalls camber kits. Do I definintely need these? He is selling his for £40/US$ 70.

Brakes: Just had pads changed (nothing special just regular ones at service). Do you guys reccommend upgrading if I have stock power?

Chips for ECU: Any thoughts? I have hada mixed response from people in the past, I dont wanna burn the engine thats all...

Lastly : how do I know which engine is in my car? I hear you guys talking bout the B20/B21... but I aint got a clue!

Hope this aint too basic... Im just looking for some ideas , my budget is about 800£ or 1500$. Spent 110(200$) on the exhaust, and shocks + coilovers would cost me another 130(250$). Labour costs around the 80££(150$) mark for exhaust,coilovers etc.

I almost forgot: Alloys. Am gonna go for some nice black ones... 17". I liked cadsters'. Any particular make jump to your mind?

Thanks guys
Raj

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Tokico blues rock my socks. Coilovers all around are good. Never heard of the Cosmo setup, so I don't have any opinion on that setup specifically. But around here, Ground Control coilovers on blues are the weapon of choice.

You'll need to convert to OBD1 to use a hondata ecu or similar.

Camber kit: if you slam those coilovers down more than an inch and a half, you'll probably want the camber kit so you don't chew up tires. Especially if you're running 17's.

Not much in the way of upgrades for the brakes, but if you've got new pads, you'll be ok. Even on my S with the smaller front brakes, I haven't encountered any problems stopping. It's a light car to begin with.

Engine code is going to be stamped onto the block in front. Right next to the timing window. You may need some engine degreaser to find it, if your engine is dirty (like mine was).

Rims: anything that fits an integra or civic is gonna fit the 3g, so if you're looking on ebay or some sites that only have a few models listed, you can use those as search criteria.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
OK.

you will have the B20A7 engine.

mods are hard to find, especially in the UK.
Which is why I do everything myself.

Tokico shocks are a goo move.
The coilovers are NOT. (althouhg I'll notcondemn them completely if you can find out the sprign rates)
Eibach springs are what you want as a very good set for road use.

Camber kits are not really needed unless you go silly on the lowering. In this country that would be a bad move anyway.

Brakes. A good upgrade would be some decent pads. EBC Greens on the back and maybe Reds on the front.

I can get you a good deal on Rota wheels if you fancy any of them.

If you are stuck for mechanical expertise in doing any of the work, give me a shout. My labour rates are very reasonable.

Chipping the ECU is not something that is readily availablke here and TBH is not wirth doing anyway. You'll need some healthy mods before that becomes required. And then there aren' that many options available.

Those are all tried and tested mods that won't break the bank but will work well.

The Powerflow exhaust is questionable. Again, without details of exactly what it is I won't comment too much.

SquishyPanda said:
Rims: anything that fits an integra or civic is gonna fit the 3g, so if you're looking on ebay or some sites that only have a few models listed, you can use those as search criteria.
Not quite correct.
Especially here.
Older Integra wheels will fit but basically a Civic fitment is the popular option.
Or even Rover fitments.
But basically any good wheel seller will be able to supply the correct PCD and offset.
That actually means you can forget places like Halfords as they will try to sell you 35mm offset which is wrong.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
:jehon: No it's not !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all
Thanks for the replies.

The 3rd gen was produced (albeit not so much) in 1992 as well, from what I understand.
88selude and squishypands : Do you think if I drop it by 1-1.5" I will need the camber kit?
I agree UK roads are bad... esp B roads. Also, the car doesn't like the bumps already - I dont want everyday ride quality to worsen, I am assuming the tokicos will improve this, right? but the coilovers will worsen it..?
88selude, I have no idea what the spring rate is or where to find it :( told you im mechanically challenged! I like the drivin, gotta learn how this stuff works now!

The Rota wheels (esp the simple Actions) look nice on rarerims.co.uk. Would you/your source supply them with tyres?

Are you guys in favour of induction kits?My K &N on my BMW only affected the sound a bit and no noticeable power gain was noted...
If so, what brand gives the best value for money?

Thanks
Raj

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
I know you bought the exhaust of rungzab635 thats my mate who sold me the leather interior that sits in the grey lude! that exhaust I was going to get for the red lude but it looks like you beat me to it. He wa telling me you had a problem with paypal or something! I told him to stop selling all the bits I need! lol!

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
With that much lowering you will not need camber kits.
If the camber is too bad I can modfiy the arms to suit if you want.
It'll only be a small amount anyway.
Getting the toe settings correct is more important.

The coilovers may be OK but usually they will be the wrong spring rates and give a crap ride on our roads.

I can get good deals on the Rotas with and without tyres.
If you let me know which ones you like the look of on Rarerims site I can get you some prices.

Induction kits. There is nothing available off the shelf over here.
TBH the std intake isn't too bad. Although the paper filter is crap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts