Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9EfeKIRjI

Video of my car from an hour ago after installing the modded LED Flasher relay I got from the forums. when the potentialmeter is turned all the way to the left nothing works(full resistance) and just slightly to the left if i move it 1/16th of a turn the right side/passenger side will blink properly nice and slow as if normal bulbs where in the car. but the left driver side still hyper blinks no matter what. My only guess is somehow I messed up the circuit board when soldering and it took me 4 different relays to find a good one with blue writing like used in the writeups : ( If this is the case is there anyone at all on here that Would let me buy a used or new blue written turn signal relay and do the mod for me and test that it properly works with LED turn signals.

I'm super against using load resistors in each corner since to me it looks ugly and I'd rather avoid splicing if at all possible. Also with the hazards lights on all 4 corners blink slowly properly so i have no clue as to why this happened. Such a bummer : (, it's the last thing i needed to do before the car is ready to hit the road and i'm sick of the hyper flashing but not getting rid of my LED's.

Absolutely EVERYTHING works as it should and the writeup states except no matter what my driver side still hyper blinks no matter what way the potentialmeter is turned. And I used the exact same one that the writeup uses.





These are pictures of MY actual relay that i did myself last week and i'm no stranger to soldering. I hunted through multiple cars and even 2 orders at honda before I finally found a used blue written turn signal flasher ( back of the board looks ugly because the car it came off of literally sat for like 6yrs next to salt ocean water and never moved and was pretty much rotted out front to back to the point we went to lower it down on jackstands and they went up through the floor lol : (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at it compared to my other 2 normal white lettered box's I guess i should give them a good cleaning with a brush since my other 2 literally look brand new and this one looks like its sat outside in the dirt or elements for a month, could be my issue since everything including all 4 hazard lights blink normally but my driver side is not working by itsself hmmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Lol I think you are a bigger stranger to proper soldering than you think. What did you use plumbing solder and a gun type iron? Pick yourself up a cheap weller 25-40watt and some thin .022" 62/36/2 rosin core if you have a radio shack. While you are out shopping get a bottle of 90+% rubbing alcohol to clean that corrosion off.
If you can actually solder better after that instead of globbing get a solder sucker and re-solder some of those because it almost looks like a few of those are dry.

If you don't need to use it for a couple days and the corrosion wont come off may try some vinegar then rinse it with water real good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope I used a weller 20-50 watt adjustable and proper rosin solder and flux with a brush. Funny enough i went over earlier to the car about 20minutes ago because it was bugging me and i tapped on the relay a few times and it completely stopped working as in both lights were hyper blinking so i ended up taking it back off of the car and opening it up to find that the wires were pushing up against some of the other shit around it and one of the leads were broken. So i kept the plastic box off and straightened things out and just put it back in the car bare without the casing and just like magic everything worked perfect and no hyper blink at all in either lights!! weooooo. now i just need to fix the few little issues and clean this baby up. Going to redo it with smaller wire since the 16ga i used is wayyyy to bigggg and is pushing all the small diodes and stuff around it and even broke one of the small diode lead wires next to it off but atleast i know it worked. The only issue was that turning the pot from full clock wise to full counter clockwise didn't change or adjust a danm thing about the blink rate hahah but i'm fine as long as it blinks slowly like oem.

The only reason it is globbed on is because the only tool I DIDN'T have was a solder sucker( literally could not get one local even at the radio shack/tech stores) I ended up using a turkey baster to just blow the shit off the original resistor as i was removing it and reheating to keep cleaning it up tell it was off the board. Ghetto but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm just happy that i know this bad boy will work. Car will be in storage for a month or two yet so useage isn't a worry : )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Dang ours has several of each type. Then again I haven't been since the bankruptcy. I've use small aluminum tube, tape and a vacuum before I got mine and started doing more board repairs.

Another place for stuff like this and components is digikey. They carry much better components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I wasn't impressed how the one glob came out at all when i did it a few weeks ago and i knew it was because I didnt have the previous removal all cleaned off near as nice as the other one. Little stuff like that eats my OCD alive but atleast knowing it works and not having to hunt for another relay makes my mind rest a bit. I could care less if the pot works or changes anything as long as I can have a normal blink rate with LEDS all around and not have to use seperate load resistors in each bulb.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top