Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the whole honda/import car deal. so i honestly have no idea were to start with the few problems i have at the moment.

Sometimes while driving my speedometer just drops to 0 and bounces up and down. the rpms stay up and the car doesnt drive weird just the speedo is jacked up.

also some mornings when i first go out i cannot seem to get it out of park. i have to use both arms to pull the shifter back.

also lastly,

sometimes while driving the drive4 light will blink, i dont know what causes this but when i stop and place the car in park, the drive4 light continues to blink

any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sounds like your vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is failing...it will cause your speedometer to read 0mph and that's also probably the reason that your D4 is blinking because, without the VSS, your transmission doesn't know when to shift and things won't function correctly.

As for the lever difficulty, I don't know. Maybe just because the fact that it's cold|lack of lubrication??

EDIT:

It should throw a code if it fails long enough... Mine is going and when it decides to give up the ghost for more than a minute or so the CEL will pop up--that'd be my first area of interest.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My car did the same thing. But mine is a 5 speed. The deal on mine was that the speed sensor electrode was falty. It also thru a engine code for it tho. There is a way to check that if you have a volt meter.
The not coming out of park thing. Check and see it your brake light are working. If no. Replace brake light switch. If problem persists try pushing the shift lock release button next to the shifter to easily move it out of park to neutral. from there you can start the car and move it up or down.

The D4 blinking usually means that the transmission is throwing a check code. And if it gets to that point... it's bad. I could also be the speedo thing other dude was talking about. Good luck.

Im new to the whole honda/import car deal. so i honestly have no idea were to start with the few problems i have at the moment.

Sometimes while driving my speedometer just drops to 0 and bounces up and down. the rpms stay up and the car doesnt drive weird just the speedo is jacked up.

also some mornings when i first go out i cannot seem to get it out of park. i have to use both arms to pull the shifter back.

also lastly,

sometimes while driving the drive4 light will blink, i dont know what causes this but when i stop and place the car in park, the drive4 light continues to blink

any suggestions? thanks

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
vss (vehicle speed sensor)

my dad's accord does this. you know the key hole beside the shifter? we have to push it down with a knife or anything that will fit into it and then while pushing it down, put the shifter in drive.

any suggestions? thanks
also caused by the vss or it could be your shift solenoids.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like your vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is failing...it will cause your speedometer to read 0mph and that's also probably the reason that your D4 is blinking because, without the VSS, your transmission doesn't know when to shift and things won't function correctly.

As for the lever difficulty, I don't know. Maybe just because the fact that it's cold|lack of lubrication??

EDIT:

It should throw a code if it fails long enough... Mine is going and when it decides to give up the ghost for more than a minute or so the CEL will pop up--that'd be my first area of interest.

My VSS is faulty but it doesn't throw a code. Most of the time its in the winter when my VSS doesn't work. Got a new one that came with the car when I bought it but haven't got around to putting it in. Everytime I think about doing it, the VSS starts working, so I just leave it.

Also to the OP, the VSS not working is not terribly bad....... odometer doesn't work if the VSS doesn't :wink: lol. Less miles on the car. HAHA j/k get it fixed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts