Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The timing belt snapped on my h22a4 with a manual trans, now I'm putting in an h23 jdm, besides swapping over the dizzy, oil pan, oil pump, harmonic balancer etc... What all else will I need. The problem I'm running into now, is how do I marry the motor and trans due to the oil filter being in the way? Am I screwed or.... I'm VERY VERY new to this.

·
Administrator
6,932 Posts
I'm not following, the oil filter is in the way? The oil filter has nothing to do with transmission fitment unless your car is an SH. The SH has a different oil cooler, and the half shaft bolts to the block differently.

Is this an H23a vtec motor? There are many threads on this already out there that I suggest you look into.

quick list

intake manifold
thermostat housing maybe - can't recall exactly
crossover pipe
both crank gears
oil pump
knock sensor, crank sensor
distributor
vtec solenoid maybe - i can't remember exactly
drivers side mount bracket
both timing covers
flywheel AND bolts

If you decide to use the H22 oil pan, you need the H22 oil pickup, that's the only way to bolt the trans brace back on, otherwise stick with the h23 steel pan and get a steel flywheel cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these are the photos and the conversation I had my mechanic. Like I said I'm very lost on this.

·
Administrator
6,932 Posts
So, are you saying your Prelude is an SH model?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK got some clarity, it is an SH model... What can I do to make this work or should I just scrap the whole project

·
Administrator
6,932 Posts
Do you have enough clearance if you use the oil cooler housing off the old motor? That is a big difference in oil filter location.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
subbed. I bought a 98' Prelude that needs motor unsure if its SH or not. Anyway to check if its an SH? Anyway, Im looking into going with an H23A as well. What exactly would I need to keep on my Prelude. My Prelude currently has an H22 motor with the IM and EM manifolds missing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts