Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's been raining here in California I have been having trying to use the defogger (for the front windshield) and I notice that it was not clearing my windshield as fogs increase as I turn on the heater in the inside. First thing that came to mind is it might be a climate control. But yesterday I did that and guess what it wasn't it. So I am here out of idea on what to do for my issue. Any help will be nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Since it's been raining here in California I have been having trying to use the defogger (for the front windshield) and I notice that it was not clearing my windshield as fogs increase as I turn on the heater in the inside. First thing that came to mind is it might be a climate control. But yesterday I did that and guess what it wasn't it. So I am here out of idea on what to do for my issue. Any help will be nice. Thanks.
Possibly time for an AC recharge.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
HA HA! No rain in Los Angles *knocks on wood*

you know whenever I use the defrost, I put it on the setting, slide it over to HOT and turn up the fan speed a bit. It works for me, and I dont think it uses the AC.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Set the temp to HOT, and make sure the circulation button is set to OFF!!!

If that doesn't work then head to the nearest STARBUCKS and/or WENDYS and stash a large amount of napkins and put into ur glovebox to use to wipe the fog off if the first option doesnt work!!! :rofl:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Set the temp to HOT, and make sure the circulation button is set to OFF!!!

If that doesn't work then head to the nearest STARBUCKS and/or WENDYS and stash a large amount of napkins and put into ur glovebox to use to wipe the fog off if the first option doesnt work!!! :rofl:
True northeasterners do that! Hahaha

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nfchaos2003
AC and everything is still working good just the defrost.

RomPirate
Yea. I try that.

Psychochimp
It is in full HOT and circulation button is off. And yep my second option is to stop at McDonald and gather a hand full of napkins.

More serious help is need. Maybe a wiring diagram or something. Not good with electrical stuff. Please help.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Ohhh bc I had that prioblem before and it was due to the circulation button being on bc a mix of outside air with the air inside the car cause the fog to dry up faster then jus locked in air inside the car itself!!!

But if you have it on hot and the circ button off and it still fogs, then have ur A/C checked out bc that's another way to defog ur windows!!!

That's the best to my knowledge that I can help with. Sorry...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohhh bc I had that prioblem before and it was due to the circulation button being on bc a mix of outside air with the air inside the car cause the fog to dry up faster then jus locked in air inside the car itself!!!

But if you have it on hot and the circ button off and it still fogs, then have ur A/C checked out bc that's another way to defog ur windows!!!

That's the best to my knowledge that I can help with. Sorry...

Well, everything works but just expect the defrost. I just don't know where the defrost is connected to after it comes out of the climate control. If I know that than I might be about to trace the next thing that controls it. More help plz luders.

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
Should be using outside air, make sure you're not turning on the recirculate. I remember reading somewhere that seats and upholstery in a vehicle maintain enough moisture in them to keep the vehicle at a high humidity level. By using outside air that has been dehumidified via the AC basically you lower your inside humidity levels and the fog on your windshield will evaporate into the air. You knew that already though :) It really might be time to recharge ac like others suggested. Make sure you get the right freon!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Was the green A/C light on? If it wasn't then the compressor wasn't engaged. The A/C is SUPPOSED to turn on when the defrost is selected (all cars do this).

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Was the green A/C light on? If it wasn't then the compressor wasn't engaged. The A/C is SUPPOSED to turn on when the defrost is selected (all cars do this).
+1

And also, I am assuming that when you select defrost that it is blowing the air out of the proper vents, by the windshield?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not matter what I do the vents on the dash to the windshield doesn't even blow. I try all of that stuff that deals with the climate control. I replace my climate control with my friend's lude and everything works. So it is not the climate control. It's an electrical wire some where. PLZ help.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
In most cars (Ford Mopar GM) the ventilation duct work is changed by a vacuum actuator (engine vacuum is used to control which 'vents' are in use (all cars are/used to be like this even ones with 'electronic climate control')). You may remember cars that had a 'vacuum ball', (a baseball-softball sized black plastic ball) usually somewhere on the firewall.

Anyway it looks like the 5th gen has electric motors instead
#5 in this pic is the one I think you have the problem with
#5 in the pic is - 79140-S30-A01 MOTOR ASSY., MODE $80.72
Either the motor itself is bad, perhaps the wire harness is bad, or the plastic arms/levers around the motor physically have a problem I would definitely check this out
Let us know what you've discovered.

·
_
2,494 Posts
since when does the prelude have electric motors to control the air? isn't that what the little slider mechanism is for? that schematic shows no electric motors, either.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The slider cable is to move the hot-cold door (the flap piece in the upper right of the pic just below the FR->), and there is a cable on the heater control valve on the firewall too (but these aren't his problem). His problem is that the ductwork WILL NOT SWITCH to DEF when he selects it on the heater control. The motor (#5) controls the ductwork (to change from def to heater to front panel, etc.).

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
Not matter what I do the vents on the dash to the windshield doesn't even blow. I try all of that stuff that deals with the climate control. I replace my climate control with my friend's lude and everything works. So it is not the climate control. It's an electrical wire some where. PLZ help.
Are you saying you checked your climate control in your friend's lude, or that you pulled his working climate control and put it in your lude?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you saying you checked your climate control in your friend's lude, or that you pulled his working climate control and put it in your lude?
Yes, I did it. I tried my CC in his car and I try his CC in my car. It worked fine in his car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The slider cable is to move the hot-cold door (the flap piece in the upper right of the pic just below the FR->), and there is a cable on the heater control valve on the firewall too (but these aren't his problem). His problem is that the ductwork WILL NOT SWITCH to DEF when he selects it on the heater control. The motor (#5) controls the ductwork (to change from def to heater to front panel, etc.).

Thanks TheJGB3. That's what I needed. But one thing is this under the dash? Does this mean I have to take off the dashboard in order to get to it? Plus how do you know that it's the motor? B/C I know everything works plus one more thing I forgot to add. The CC is stuck at the button to the face/feet. So not matter which button I press it is still stuck there and the circulation button doesn't even work. Could this still be the motor?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts