Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day, my car suddenly didnt want to go into gear very easily and if it had it in gear with the clutch pedal all the way in, it kept slightly grabbing like it would if you took off in first gear without enough gas.

My first thought was that it was either the clutch going out or the tob fork was messed up. I took the car into the shop, and what their telling me is that it is not the clutch or the tob fork.

I then realized that once it started messing up, if I pushed the clutch in really fast and shifted into gear once it was all the way to the floor, it was easier. But if I pushed the clutch pedal down slowly, it was significantly harder.

I called a friend of mine and told hi about this and he said it sounded like a master/slave cylinder leak....which makes sense to me, but I didnt notice any leaks, and neither did the shop.

Anyway, the shop is thinking that the problem lies in the ATTS unit. My ATTS light has been on since I bought the car and hasnt worked. But it never gave me any problems until now. It just doesnt seem right to me.

Would the ATTS unit cause shifting/gear grind problems? It all just doesnt make sense to me.

What should I do? Has anyone encounter this problem?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I agree with the master/slave cylinders. The master seems to be the culprit more often than the salve. It sounds like there is a bubble in there... I would make sure you have fluid and get a buddy to help you bleed it. Have someone floor the clutch and see how much the fork moves. It should move ~1". Chances are its not moving enough, unless you floor it quickly.

if master and slave cylinders are ruled out 100% then its gonna be the pressure plate/TOB/Clutch...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with the master/slave cylinders. The master seems to be the culprit more often than the salve. It sounds like there is a bubble in there... I would make sure you have fluid and get a buddy to help you bleed it. Have someone floor the clutch and see how much the fork moves. It should move ~1". Chances are its not moving enough, unless you floor it quickly.

if master and slave cylinders are ruled out 100% then its gonna be the pressure plate/TOB/Clutch...
I checked the fluid and the levels are good. No noticeable leaks. Have not bled them though

·
Registered
239 Posts
If the cup inside the clutch master cylinder is worn/ripped you wont have a leak the fluid will just slip by the cup and not have any or limited hydraulic pressure.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds like what mine was doing a couple weeks ago. My clutch was literally broken and one of the springs came out of it.

And to the ATTS... No, that's not the problem. How much do you trust the shop you took it to?

·
_
2,494 Posts
dude, one of the pieces on my spring plate broke off in my clutch, slowly fucking it up. i replaced both cylinders and my clutch yesterday.

interesting how so many people have the same symptoms, all around the same time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i had same problem few weeks ago, it could not get into gear and even if it does, it drives quite weird as i release clutch in very bad timing, which is slippery feeling. so i took it to my mechanic and replaced with exedy clutch and 8lb flywheel, he told me my spring were busted and it was causing problem.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yep. same with me...it's the master slave.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would flush out the clutch hydraulic system before replacing anything. Cheap and easy and is always a good idea anyways. Moisture and crap gets in and messes with the way the pressure is delivered. I have had to do it up to a dozen times in the past before to get a perfect pedal. Give that a shot, keep repeating until clean fluid comes out and is completely clean in the master reservoir.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just had the brake fluid in the master cylinder and the slave cylinder flushed and replaced....no more shudder when taking off, but it is still hard to shift into gear. It also seems a little sluggish on acceleration. Multiple problems still come to mind (shift linkage for the shift problems, and maybe clutch for the sluggish takeoff???) I havent noticed any slippage, just kind of sluggish. Any ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts