Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 prelude; I was installing new injector seal kit. Had to remove EACV to get to the fuel rail nuts. While installing back, not sure what happened..I may have inserted the bolt at an angle. It was tight going in and tried to torque it...it broke :eek:mg:

The car seems to run fine for now..what do I need to fix it? What will be the symptoms if there is a gap between the intake manifold chamber and the EACV valve ?

Thx!

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Did the bolt head break off? If it had a shoulder under the head is there still some shoulder there? If it is just down to threaded rod you can take off the other bolt and take it to the hardware store and get two nuts with no washer built into them. You would have to be able to remove the eacv. If you can do that or once it is out thread the two nuts on. Using two open end wrenches tighten them against each other and then place an open end wrench on the back one and turn it out.

Otherwise if the shoulder is still there and you have enough room you could try a stud extractor that merely grips the stud and does not have to be threaded on. I have one of these in my oddball and large tool thread. Located in the red F.A.Q. sticky.

Or with the eacv out of the way. A good set of medium to small vice grips with good teeth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the bolt head break off? If it had a shoulder under the head is there still some shoulder there? If it is just down to threaded rod you can take off the other bolt and take it to the hardware store and get two nuts with no washer built into them. You would have to be able to remove the eacv. If you can do that or once it is out thread the two nuts on. Using two open end wrenches tighten them against each other and then place an open end wrench on the back one and turn it out.

Otherwise if the shoulder is still there and you have enough room you could try a stud extractor that merely grips the stud and does not have to be threaded on. I have one of these in my oddball and large tool thread. Located in the red F.A.Q. sticky.

Or with the eacv out of the way. A good set of medium to small vice grips with good teeth.
It broke off at the manifold body, so the bolt head has at least about an inch or more attached to it.. I don't know if there is a little bit sticking out of the manifold body.. Need to remove the EACV to check.. Thanks for the input. What would I see as a symptom due to this? I am thinking there might be a small gap that can develop between the EACV and the manifold..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Send the plenum of the intake to me. I am feeling generous so I will repair it for you. PM me if interested.

Thank you for the offer.. I will first try to remove the EACV again to see if the bolt has a little bit sticking out, in which case, I think I should be able to pull it out. If not, I will contact you.

Btw, where can I find the bolt?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I may have inserted the bolt at an angle. It was tight going in and tried to torque it...it broke :eek:mg:
I have that happened to me in few occasions: 2 heat shield bolt heads sheared off when I was trying to remove it; 2 bolt heads out of 5 (as I remember correctly) water pump bolts were also sheared off when I was trying to torque them to the spec. As per water pump I still have it attached with only 3 bolts and the coolant is slowly sipping... Do not know if it is possible to remove the remaining of the bolt without removing of the engine...
I think over the time with heating-cooling cycles the material is losing its properties and it is becoming fragile.
From now on I am trying to replace all small bolts (I think they M6)...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thank you for the offer.. I will first try to remove the EACV again to see if the bolt has a little bit sticking out, in which case, I think I should be able to pull it out. If not, I will contact you.

Btw, where can I find the bolt?
Look forward to it. Good luck. You can find the bolt likely in a box next to several other bolts of the same size :lol:

But for real, the bolt is an 8x1.25x50. You should be able to find them at any hardware store, even Walmart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts