Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really commited to building my 3gee. I wanted to use the b20 but the severe lack of aftermarket support is very bothersome. My plan is to make this a DD/autocross car. I don't really care about it being comfortable or anything so don't worry about that kind of stuff because of it being a DD. I just want the realiability. I have a Trooper to use in the meantime but after the Prelude that Trooper is going under the knife again. I want to run high compression (11.0:1) and a low amount of boost for the street. But I want to be able to go to the track on the weekends with meth injection and pump up the boost. Is this possible with the b20 or should I just cut my losses (which are minimal at the moment) and get the h22 instead? Man I hope this makes sense...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
if you want power go with the h22...i would imagine there are more h22's doing autocross than b20's. for what u want to do i would go h22, that and you answered your own question by saying there isnt much aftermarket support. there are too many people on here who stand behind b20's and there are too many who stand behind h22's, therefore i think your own decision is the best!! but your in for a ride when it comes to a h22, lots of swap work and the cash to get it all.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
F23A1 on the stock tranny and 7 lbs of boost.

should be good for an easy 200hp at a cost of less than $2000.

at least, that's how i've decided to solve this problem.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
lol, is this even a question that needs to be debated?

dude, if you got the ambition, the wallet, and the time/ space to do a H22 swap then by all means screw the B20, just drop something in there that isnt gonna take fabrication and working out problems that no one knows about cause its a uncommon motor and all the extra BS that comes with the BSB20...

but idk too much about if 11:1CR with a "low amount of boost" on a H22 is safe or already been done or even plausible...

·
blubyu
390 Posts
the only thing about the h no matter if you do low or high boost there is a LOT of milling involved to make the h handle the boost but if got the time walllet go for it anythings can be done the thge damn neer 500 whp 3rdgen lude with a h swap and a lot of boost.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
the only thing about the h no matter if you do low or high boost there is a LOT of milling involved to make the h handle the boost but if got the time walllet go for it anythings can be done the thge damn neer 500 whp 3rdgen lude with a h swap and a lot of boost.
umm, not really, actually from what i hear and seeing mitches H22 boosted at like 20+psi off of basically nothing...

id say H22's handle boost pretty damn well actually, alot better than B20's in stock trim.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm assuming you already know that the H22 has the FRM material.

So, either you are planning light boost on the factory rods/ pistons and risking reliablity, or you can add to the cost of the build - sleeving, rods/pistons/bearings?.

Honestly, no one knows how much money you are looking to throw, so this is really tough to give an opinion on. If it were my car I would run forged internals(on either motor), save enough to get a proper tune, and probably lower compression slightly. High compression high boost can be amazing, but it wouldn't be on my DD.

Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My plan is to make this a DD/autocross car. I don't really care about it being comfortable or anything so don't worry about that kind of stuff because of it being a DD. I just want the realiability. But I want to be able to go to the track on the weekends with meth injection and pump up the boost. Is this possible with the b20 or should I just cut my losses (which are minimal at the moment) and get the h22 instead? Man I hope this makes sense...

if your going to auto x this double check with them as i have a h22 that i auto x in an integra with and im in with the likes of 5.0 stangs/944/and s2000

just keep it in mind if you want to be competive build a car for it

thanks P.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I wanna run all forged internals and re-sleeve and ditch that FRM. I'm going to build the engine on a stand and when it's done just drop it in. I think I'll go with the H motor then. Thanks for the heads up integra 2.2t, that's the kinda stuff I need to think about. Is that because you have a motor swap you run against such stiff competition?

·
OT HOMO
1,055 Posts
Yeah I wanna run all forged internals and re-sleeve and ditch that FRM. I'm going to build the engine on a stand and when it's done just drop it in. I think I'll go with the H motor then. Thanks for the heads up integra 2.2t, that's the kinda stuff I need to think about. Is that because you have a motor swap you run against such stiff competition?
why resleeve just get a f22 block already iron sleeves and much cheaper then resleeving just drop a h22 head on it...

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
if all the racing you want to do is autox then the b20 has enough power for that. keeps the car good and nimble. but for track days or the occasional romp on the highway, h22 is good for it. but going through all the money and trouble to do a boosted h/f motor will net lots of power that you'll have a hard time putting down (or even needing, honestly) on an autox course, and in most cases, a road course. just my opinion here, but i'd do a factory h22 and be done.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
One built for boost.

Both will take mild street setups just fine. B20 supposedly takes 220hp with a good tune on stock internals, without any problems or worries, and 250 is supposed to be fine.

As for the h22, not a clue.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
^^ So what your trying to get at is that if it is built to handle boost, that neither one really is better or worse. Correct??

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well to be truthful, I don't know much about the h22. But for your average low-power setup(under 250hp), either is fine. H22 has more potential, but is expensive. Then again, a thorough build is expensive, period.

I do know h22's need to be sleeved for any high-power applications, which is a chunk of change($1k) on top of everything else.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts