Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all right my head gasket is slowly taking a shit on me...

literally.

its sitting in the garage very slowly leaking coolant as i type

questions.

difficulty level?

what else should be done other than the obvious oil change and coolant flush?

should i just fork over the cash and have a shop fix it.

just another added not i have never been in the internals of an engine before, so this is new to me, sorry for the :newbie: thread but any help is appreciated.

thanks!:emthup:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
REally not a tough job. Just time consuming, grab a repair manual. Is the car down for the winter where you can mess with it or do you DD it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
its not that difficult just keep track of all your bolts, clean as much of the old gasket as you possibly can if not all. i did this for my senior project about a year ago because of a broken t-belt and had the same problem NEVER BEEN INSIDE THE ENGINE. for my opinion the most difficult part was getting the timing belt perfect.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
dont forget to remove the coolant drain bolt from the front of the block before taking the head off. draining the radiator doesnt get all the coolant out. draining the radiator and the block does. this revents coolant getting in the cylinders and oil ports when you take the head off. it also prevents a huge mess lol

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
when you say the front of the block, do you mean the two allen plugs behind the exhaust mani, or is it going to be behind the timing cover. i am gonna pull out the a3 prolly fri or sat and need to drain the motor as well to start my a5 swap. thanks

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
a head gasket is about a day job if you havent done it before ryan and also change the timing belt and water pump since your going to be tearing it down that far....good luck ryan

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
when you say the front of the block, do you mean the two allen plugs behind the exhaust mani, or is it going to be behind the timing cover. i am gonna pull out the a3 prolly fri or sat and need to drain the motor as well to start my a5 swap. thanks
no not the allen plugs. behind the exhaust mani there is an actual bolt in the front of the block, either a 17mm or a 19mm.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
thanks, i appreciate it. btw your build looks good. exhaust is sick too.
thank you. yeah its a ton of fun now lol. im now able to teach my girl how to drive fwd stick with a car that can burn the tires just by laying into the gas haha. preparing her for the near future; just waiting for my tax return so i can buy the last few little parts for the turbo setup

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
This is a perfect opprotunity to have the head resurfaced at the very least. I would also reccomend having a valve job, and installing new valve stem seals. Your machinist will let you know if all else is good. Remember the bolt torque sequence and the often forgotten, REMOVAL sequence.

·
Registered
347 Posts
all right my head gasket is slowly taking a shit on me...

literally.

its sitting in the garage very slowly leaking coolant as i type

questions.

difficulty level?

what else should be done other than the obvious oil change and coolant flush?

should i just fork over the cash and have a shop fix it.

just another added not i have never been in the internals of an engine before, so this is new to me, sorry for the :newbie: thread but any help is appreciated.

thanks!:emthup:

i just did it on mine, and it was super easy, i had it done in two nights....
all you need is your intake manifold gasket and exhaust manifold gasket.. i did it with only unbolting the intake manifold from the head itself, and just left everything there

·
Registered
347 Posts
timing it was probably the hardest part. but if you can do that... you can do it no problem

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
REally not a tough job. Just time consuming, grab a repair manual. Is the car down for the winter where you can mess with it or do you DD it?
its down for the winter

a head gasket is about a day job if you havent done it before ryan and also change the timing belt and water pump since your going to be tearing it down that far....good luck ryan
and i just had the timing belt 10,000 miles ago:xloc:

also i got some quotes for $1200 plus :-| so right now im just thinking b20a swap because the guy i bought my car from was a bit sketchy. The car is already b20a5 swapped and i only know it has a b20a5 block, and a b21a1 intake manifold, so i kind of want to start out fresh and know what i have. opinions?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
1200 plus DAMN that is a rip off what are they using gold plated tools....jus take that motor out and build it for boost would be your best option or build it for what you want is what i would do man

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
id say try doing it yourself. have the head shaved the bare minimum for perfect flatness, and toss a new hg in.

worst case scenario is that you can't do it, but at least learned some things in the process, and didnt lose any money

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
pictures in 10 min...

and i think i have the tools. i dont need anything special do i?
just a torque wrench to tighten the head bolts and cam cap bolts properly, and a timing light to set the ignition timing properly.

oh, and a paperclip to jump the service connector for when you set the ignition timing :)

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just a torque wrench to tighten the head bolts and cam cap bolts properly, and a timing light to set the ignition timing properly.

oh, and a paperclip to jump the service connector for when you set the ignition timing :)
i have a torque wrench

dont have a timing gun

and WTF does that mean? lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts