Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 prelude sh and my timing belt broke while driving. mechanic said to buy a new motor or rebuild the head with new valves ... question i have is " does a jdm head or usdm head from a base model fit into my sh?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Being that your car is an SH, you'd need to source another SH engine to completely swap a new unit in. To the best of my knowledge, another H22A4 head off of a USDM engine should bolt onto your existing motor, considering first that the bottom end survived your negligence.

Has your mechanic checked to make sure nothing happened to the pistons to "just swap the head"?

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
How does your "mechanic" know your head is messed up. I had my timing belt melt off because I forgot one washer that spaces the h23 tensioner. The two tensioner melted together causing my belt to start rubbing against the cover. Luckily I was paying attention to the rpms and noticed it was bogging. So I shut it off before it could completely die. If you were high in rpms then you may have bent a valve/valves. But that's not for sure. Don't just "assume" that the head is messed up.

This may or may not help.. Best of luck.

http://www.preludezone.com/5th-gen-honda-prelude/41690-head-difference-base-sh-type-s.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts