Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in need of a new head gasket after taking my head off to check valves and cylinders. Every head gasket available online does not look like it will fit my engine, some parts are always different. Where do y’all recommended buying from

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
566 Posts
That photo may not be it. There are a lot of shit sellers on eBay that don't know how to sell. He asks for VIN numbers to confirm, give it to him and find out, though this is not always reliable from my experience when dealing with aftermarket sellers.

You are not in a position to complain about wait times I am afraid. This car is really old now and parts are getting in much more demand. Its also a mid life crisis car and old guys with money will out bid you, so jump on things when the price is right. Pain such as wait times should be expected for some parts for a car this age.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That photo may not be it. There are a lot of shit sellers on eBay that don't know how to sell. He asks for VIN numbers to confirm, give it to him and find out, though this is not always reliable from my experience when dealing with aftermarket sellers.

You are not in a position to complain about wait times I am afraid. This car is really old now and parts are getting in much more demand. Its also a mid life crisis car and old guys with money will out bid you, so jump on things when the price is right. Pain such as wait times should be expected for some parts for a car this age.
😂😂 understandable, thanks for explaining man

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I just looked up headgaskets for a 90-91 lude and it’s an exact match to the one I had … why is that? My car is an 89…

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
I just looked up headgaskets for a 90-91 lude and it’s an exact match to the one I had … why is that? My car is an 89…
The B20A5 engine was available for all 3rd gen Preludes from '88 thru '91. For '90/'91 models, the Prelude 2.0 Si came with the B20A5 engine. The Prelude Si came with the B21A1. So it stands to reason that a HG for a 90/91 lude could match the one you had.

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1 on Sean’s post. Make sure you get the correct size for your b20. Is the head also original to the b20 block? I ask because many people have swapped in heads originally for the b21, and used a b20 gasket to match the cylinder bore, not knowing that the bore on the head size is actually larger. As a result, repeated combustion cycles quickly wore down the circumference of the head gasket holes. This was the case with the engine on my prelude when I bought it with a blown head gasket.

Try Cometic, Sean, didn’t you collaborate with them on these head gaskets?

Also, don’t be too worried when you find out that the head gasket coolant holes partially cover up the engine block coolant passages, that’s completely by design and meant to somehow regulate the coolant flow. I stared at it for a long time, and confirmed through multiple google searches.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The B20A5 engine was available for all 3rd gen Preludes from '88 thru '91. For '90/'91 models, the Prelude 2.0 Si came with the B20A5 engine. The Prelude Si came with the B21A1. So it stands to reason that a HG for a 90/91 lude could match the one you had.
How can I tell if my cyl head is a b21a1 or b20a5? This actually seems like a reasonable explaination

1 - 20 of 24 Posts