Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My head has to come apart to fix whatever the hell is wrong with it.

what should I look into replacing with performance parts while the engine is apart?

I am staying NA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Timing belt of course, and usually while you're at it most replace the water pump.

What are your plans? You've got most of the bolt ons already.. Good time to drop in some cams if you're going that route...

·
Registered
322 Posts
kyx said:
a nice and strong aftermarket timing belt.. greddy or someshit :X rebuilding the head with aftermarket parts is not a bad idea too. Dont forget to get a new head gasket liner whatever its called (the rubber between the head and the block). Not expensive and will save you from a leak..if theres a leak to happen :p
LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
cams = FTW!

made a hell of a difference on my 240, which of course is totally different than your car....

but you should get cams anyway, youll be very pleased

speaking of....what cams do prelude guys usually go with? i was thinking about that the other day.

do you have to take the head of to get the cams in, or do you just go in the valve cover like normal OHC cars?

and could you put a set of cams in without having to upgrade fuel? would the stock injectors handle a mild increase in lift\duration? if so i may look into getting a set.

*i need to research my prelude more i think*

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
jonno ks said:
*i need to research my prelude more i think*
agreed.

Cam choice depends on your setup and the amount of power you want to make. Whether you want it streetable, for drag racing, or for road racing.....there are alot of factors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
2.2L said:
agreed.

Cam choice depends on your setup and the amount of power you want to make. Whether you want it streetable, for drag racing, or for road racing.....there are alot of factors.
yes...i know this.

i meant a mild upgrade. i dont know what the cam profiles are on stock preludes, but just a little more aggressive. to give it a little extra grunt around town.

as far as my "setup," i dont have one. it has an intake, and i only got that because it sounded cool.

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
jonno ks said:
yes...i know this.

i meant a mild upgrade. i dont know what the cam profiles are on stock preludes, but just a little more aggressive. to give it a little extra grunt around town.

as far as my "setup," i dont have one. it has an intake, and i only got that because it sounded cool.
Factory Type S cams will do you fine.

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
jonno ks said:
type S? i didnt even know there was one of them.....

care to explain a little more, maybe make research a little easier for me...
its just a little more aggressive. They come out of the Type S prelude that is not availible in the US unless imported.

read the resource thread man, i've got a thing typed out about many of the h22 motors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
2.2L said:
its just a little more aggressive. They come out of the Type S prelude that is not availible in the US unless imported.

read the resource thread man, i've got a thing typed out about many of the h22 motors.
ill do that, thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What kind of cams should I go with?

I need recommendations for a daily driver, with the listed upgrades below. I street race a fair bit, from a roll or in traffic to and from work, and I enjoy driving fast VERY much.

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
meshuggah said:
What kind of cams should I go with?

I need recommendations for a daily driver, with the listed upgrades below. I street race a fair bit, from a roll or in traffic to and from work, and I enjoy driving fast VERY much.
are you wanting to upgrade the valvetrain?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2.2L said:
are you wanting to upgrade the valvetrain?

do I need to to do performance cams?

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
meshuggah said:
You don't need cams, you need to save up for your tickets, haha. :D J/K, sry. Anyway...
meshuggah said:
do I need to to do performance cams?
It depends, that's why he's asking you. Some cams will work fine w/ your stock valvetrain, others require an upgrade. Regardless of cam choice, its always a good idea to at least replace springs/retainers, but it isn't always necessary. Just say yes or no then he can help you narrow down cam choices for you.

BTW, wut u mean u have a 2001 SE? There's no such thing unless you're not talking about your Lude.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cruiserdude said:
BTW, wut u mean u have a 2001 SE? There's no such thing unless you're not talking about your Lude.
yes there is, it's the Canadian version of the SH :smilejap:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
most stage 1 cams or the type-s cams don't require a valvetrain upgrade, but if you go with stage 2 cams or higher, it's needed because you'll most likely find yourself revving a lot higher.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts