Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm about to replace my headgasket on the B20A (Accord) and I came on a small problem

Honda recommends 49 lb-ft but the paper that came with the headgasket recommends 51 lb-ft with a retorque sequence after one heat cycle.

I guess that the 2 lb-ft doesn't really matter but do we really need to retorque the bolts after 1 heat cycle?

I had an oil leak in front of the engine so this is the reason I replaced the headgasket. Maybe I should have just retorqued it but decided to replace it since it's a pain to reach the head bolts. (engine did 3500 miles since rebuild)

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
carotman said:
Well, I'm about to replace my headgasket on the B20A (Accord) and I came on a small problem

Honda recommends 49 lb-ft but the paper that came with the headgasket recommends 51 lb-ft with a retorque sequence after one heat cycle.

I guess that the 2 lb-ft doesn't really matter but do we really need to retorque the bolts after 1 heat cycle?

I had an oil leak in front of the engine so this is the reason I replaced the headgasket. Maybe I should have just retorqued it but decided to replace it since it's a pain to reach the head bolts. (engine did 3500 miles since rebuild)
Maybe the gasket makers are assuming you wont use some sort of torquing lubricant? Hmmm

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
What make of gasket is it.

None of the ones I've used need re-torquing and tbh they shouldn't.
Should be used dry and torqued as per the manual.
Only it being a spurious gasket would alter this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts