Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I have a 98 sh, since I’ve owned the car it’s always had a almost supercharger whine coming from the harmonic balancer/lower timing cover area. Was curious if anyone else has had similar issues? And/or what any of you think it is. I’ll maybe try to upload a vid to show the sound. It only really makes the noise at idle and as I let off the clutch to accelerate and then quiets down. I’ve driven with it like this for over 6000 miles with no issues. I rebuilt my head and done timing twice (don’t ask why) Everything looked good including tensioner and pulleys (I replaced almost all pulleys). The balancer itself doesn’t seem like it has any rub wear on it so I’m kinda stumped. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
7,030 Posts
Hey all! I have a 98 sh, since I’ve owned the car it’s always had a almost supercharger whine coming from the harmonic balancer/lower timing cover area. Was curious if anyone else has had similar issues? And/or what any of you think it is. I’ll maybe try to upload a vid to show the sound. It only really makes the noise at idle and as I let off the clutch to accelerate and then quiets down. I’ve driven with it like this for over 6000 miles with no issues. I rebuilt my head and done timing twice (don’t ask why) Everything looked good including tensioner and pulleys (I replaced almost all pulleys). The balancer itself doesn’t seem like it has any rub wear on it so I’m kinda stumped. Thanks in advance!

The balance belt tension is incorrect, that's all. Likely too tight - I had the same issue years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts