Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with some remedies as to what causes the hard starting of the carbed 1.8's when they are cold? I'm not sure where to even start. Could it be one of the devices in the black box on the passenger firewall or most likely carb related?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Please be more specific. Are you pushing the gas pedal down to the floor and slowly releasing to start when cold? Could be bad choke or stuck thermo wax valve. There is an adjustment screw for fast idle if your RPMs are to low.

·
DCOE45Z
2,946 Posts
its carbed...you know that the gas should be pumped once or twice before starting it. New plugs/wires/rotar/cap will help a million with cold starts as well as a more viscous oil (thinner). Do all that then see how she starts :smilejap:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would always just spray some starting fluid in the carb about every 2 - 3 days. And it would start fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats a thermo wax valve? I have to constantly keep the gas pedal pressed (for about two minutes) when starting or else car will sputter and die.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If your car starts right up, but won't idle, then the problem is in the fast idle mech. All this stuff is on the drivers side carb, between carb an throttle opener (round gold color valve). First spray that linkage with carb cleaner. that may fix it. There is also a idle speed ajustment screw down in there. It's a screw with spring and might have yellow paint on it. The best way to get to that screw is to remove that white plastic valve next to gold one. 2 screws. Also check the throttle opener valve rod for movement and check for vacume. The termal wax valve is under the throttle opener valve. It has a couple of cooling lines on it. Check the rod on that for movement. What it does is drops the fast idle speed slowly as the car warms up. Sorry for the long post, it's complicated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts