Honda Prelude Forum banner

521 - 540 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
So, its been a biot since I alst updated this thread, much has happened since I suppose.

Previously I have mentioned the issues with the cam and crank pickup interference issues, as well as my intended remedy for those issues. The sensor I had ordered months ago have arrived, so installed them as well as the subhanress that comes with them to get the plugs out of the timing cover. From there, I had to wire each sensor into the car, there are three sensors, each has three wires, one wire of each of the triplet goes to power, ground, and signal. I chose, after discussions with Don at RPM SYSTEMS that I would wire the power into the #2 coil pack, the ground sinto the engine ground, and the signal into the Infinttyy unit.

So I then set about making my own harness. Incidently enough, my friend Onair is also doing this sensor conversion, so after I had made my harness, and had a better idea of length and position and what not I then made another harness for his build, although the second harness looks muhcbetter than the first.

I, whilst cleaning my engine bay, found a major Vacuum leak, leading form the intake butterfly vaccum reference to nowhere. So I fixed that up with a plug and then installed the new batter. After 8 years, countless full discharges and nmumersou incorrect charges, my optima battery just wont cut it any further. So I chose a oddessey AGM 34R Series battery to replace it. Thisone is deep cycle, unlike the Optima redtop, so it should last much longer.

Anyway, not to the meat and potatoes of the update. I installed the harnessi made, then tried to sart the car. Without the hall sensors, the Probability of start up would read zero. So after the hall sensors, the probabililty of start was 100, but it wouldn't start. The probablitly of spark was 100% but wouldn't start. Same with fuel. So I put a node ilight in the injector harness as well as pulled the plug. Both spark and fuel delivery occurred. I couldn't figure out hwat was goingon as the car still wouldn't start. After a few cranks, it seemed that the sprk was occurring to late and combustion wouldn't happen, so I then decieded to move the camshalft pickup on the AD cam gear. Being that it is a Hall Effect TDC sensor, I thought it would be reasonable to have the pickup at TDC. So I pulled the sensor from the non working #2 position and installed the pickup at TDC. Still no start. Kinda weird, being that the TDC sensor pickup was at TDC, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire.

Then I moved the pickup on the gear to position #6 and the car fired right up. The VE tables work and the car is drivable, not only drivable but cruisable and making more power than on the stock pcm. I was and am quite happy, so here are some pictures of it all, as we all know we all love pictures!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #523 (Edited)
This is the status of the start probability, with a dead battery. There wasn't enough power in the optima battery to make things work.

Here, I have the power probe and the multi meter out to chase down the harness I made to ensure that the lack of power was the issue rather than an error in wiring. No errors or issues with the wiring.

These next pictures are of the harness dfiagrams that I made to route the sensors correctly to make them work. I used all Honda harness plugs and made each connection a different color. I used the Orange ABS plugs for the ground, the Green plugs for the power, the grey plug for the signal. On the ground, I had made the connector go to a ring connector that attaches to the engine ground. The power, feeds both sides of the harness plug then is split after to direct power to the two different sensors.

Then I re installed the harness, and htook some pictures.

Next up are the pictures of the harness I had made for Onair. It turned out really nice and is made up of all white wires. I think it looks as nice or nicer than most really lol

Ok, so now we are at the point where everything is installed, and should work, so this is where I was moving the cam pickup position. Then next thing you know, gthis happens.....

And this too!

http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/bouckarooo/media/DSC_0033_zps2jxxyizt.jpg.html

http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/bouckarooo/media/HALL%20Harness_zpsr2pgjncs.jpg.html
http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/bouckarooo/media/HALL%20SENSOR%202_zpswznev6sj.jpg.html
http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/bouckarooo/media/HALL%20SENSOR%204_zpsvmugwb28.jpg.html
http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/bouckarooo/media/HALL%20SENSOR%20O1_zpssocghdfn.jpg.html

Now the car is running on the Iinfinty unit, I will remove the harness again, and then go about correcting the axel angle issue. Then once that is done, I will install the built setup for boost!

Until next time!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Drivetrain
T2W4 Transmission
What do you think of the T2W4 gearing? I have a stock '99 JDM bluetop H23A VTEC (i noticed yours was also a '99) in my '01 accord sedan ex. When I did the swap I retained my F23A1 trans, but put 3/4/5 gears + final from h23a1 trans.

Currently have Euro R intake manifold + T2W4 trans taken apart in my kitchen. I'm impatiently awaiting my parts from Honda to arrive. Debating on running a 0.87 5th gear from M2F4 (4th gen prelude VTEC) trans, rather than the 0.812 5th.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
What do you think of the T2W4 gearing? I have a stock '99 JDM bluetop H23A VTEC (i noticed yours was also a '99) in my '01 accord sedan ex. When I did the swap I retained my F23A1 trans, but put 3/4/5 gears + final from h23a1 trans.

Currently have Euro R intake manifold + T2W4 trans taken apart in my kitchen. I'm impatiently awaiting my parts from Honda to arrive. Debating on running a 0.87 5th gear from M2F4 (4th gen prelude VTEC) trans, rather than the 0.812 5th.

The T2W4 is an wonderful transmission. Its short gearing down low is great, and can really get the car going! It makes having a higher powerband allot of fun, and is really much better than the other transmission that I have used.

For an NA setup the T2W4 is great, and unless you can find a u2q7, you wont find a better transmission.

For a boosted setup, I have a m2s4 with accord final drive and fifth gear set with a m factory lsd. This setup gives extremely long gears, which is good when you have higher power froma turbo charged application. Funy thing is with this transmission, it was built a number of years ago when I wante dto build a high boost h motor, then I decided to go boosted J so now I have a killer boost ready tranismission that I wont use lol. After that trans was assembled, it was put into a h22 swapped "eg" hatchback, and I drove it to break everything in, and it was so funny to drive in a regular oem h22, it would take so long to get to speed to shift, but the top end of fifth gear was crazy, definetly faster than the t2w4 or the m2b4 or the m2y4 or the t2t4. I think that longer gears and faster final speed is pretty cool, just maybe not for a stock setup.

Billy once hooked me up with a full rebuild kit for my t2w4 transmission, as well as a final drive gearset for it too, I have yet to rebuild the t2w4 as wheni got it it was extremely low mileage, but I imagine that once I get around to building the T2W4 it will be even better and shorter than it was!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
Josh! Man, how have you been?! I was wondering what was going on with your build and other stuff. Glad to hear your doing well!

Have you used a turbo speed sensor before? If so, do you find it useful? I've been debating on adding one to my setup.
Things are grand Billy! The shop is plugging along, doing well considering im still working full time doing the directional bit in the oilfield . I wont complain, not twenty cars a week busy, but I always have customers, some for maintenance, some for swaps, some for tuning and dyno time. I have been putting in allot more effort of late to become better at tuning, I am confident to do my own tuning, and have been having a blast learning about he infinity system and other tuning platforms. I am considering taking all the EFI live courses across the states, but havnt settled on doing so yet due to work schedual conflicts. Eventually I will get them done though.

As for the turbo speed sensors, this is my first time running one, but being I am using the BW EFR series turbo, I figured I would run one as the Gamma Ti makeup of the turbine well are not conducive to over 120,000 rpm. I figured being that the I6 unit can utilyze the speed sensor for safeguarding, it would be unwise to not capitalize on those features.

Also this speed sensor will allow me to visually see at what point I have maxed out the turbo. Often times, due to improper sizing, people will over drive the turbo trying to get the most out of it. The EFR series turbos are known to come apart after 120k rpm, so why not try keep the turbo as safe as possible. The rest of the setup has been engineered and planned to make the most out of each component, so im hoping that I can run a lower boost pressure and still achieve the same output as a setup with less lift, lower compression but a larger turbo.

Ultimetly, in the end I will use the speed sensors to both safegaurd and monitor the turbo efficiency, then make changes as I see fit based on the data at hand.

The turbo speed sensor will be only one of many areas of monitor and safegaurding I will entertain.

I hope all is well with your AWESOME prelude Billy, and I cannot wait to see you making miles on the track this fall1 With some luck and some money, I will have the billet custom cams this year and maybe hopefully get my prelude tot he track as well.

Also, weird question for you, you once told me that you had an Endynn engine sit for two years, and you fired it right up, I have my Ge block sitting here for almost two years now, I was thinking of maybe tearing the oil pan off and the girdle and re lubing the mains before startup. What did you do with your engine that sat for so long before fire up?

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
I didn't open the mains up at all. I just finished assembling the engine (Larry just did the bottom end), installed it in the car, cranked the engine over with the starter (without plugs or fuel) long enough to get some oil pressure (enough to make the OEM light go out), then started it up! :)

Good info on the speed sensor. I'm seriously thinking of doing that on my turbo setup.

Are you doing roller cams? If you are, let me know before you pull the trigger on the cams. I may be able to help you out. :)

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #529 (Edited)
Yes the j series have roller xams from factory. My issue with the cams is that i am lookimg for a very soecific cam profile and the only person who makes a full cam is Aweiss at TB motorworks. His billet cams can be custom made to any specificatiom desired, so he and i spent many hours profiling to come up with a cam that will utilyze the cylinder head flow while maximising all the other features of the engine.

Ive intentioally left the cams until last, as this way im basing the cam performance off of the rest of the setup, to enaure ill make the most of each part.

Also, about the turbo turbine speed sensors, Why not run one? The added wiring sensors and work are well worth what the data provides. Knowing you, your engine management is top of the line Motec, so for sure it will have the ability to log, map, store and compare the speed data. I think that for what it is worth you cannot go wrong having one, although im not sure if all manufacturers of turbos make housings that accommodate that sensor. Surely Garret would, same with Turbonetics, but not sure If Precision, Comp turbos, Mitsubishi, or any other brand do. Be interesting to look into really. But worse case, you spend the money on the sensor and setup, and you get to monitor the turbo real time. One thing I have never considered was a HUD, not sure of any brand of gauge that can do that read out specifically, I'll have to look into that over the next few days and get back to you. I know that for my infinity unit, I can run the speed sensor so it is straight fed to I6 as well as output on generic pin to a display. I would hope that AEM has a programmable guage that can be used.??

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
So after much thought and consideration, Ive decided that I will purchase soon a set of bnib 03 acura cl-s true manual cams, and I will install those intot he built engine for now.

I am doing this as I will run the custom billet cams itn eh future and when I do, I will als o sned the ehads in to have the head cam journal coured out so that when I spedn the 3k on the cams I can get a much higer lift than normally allowed. This journal diameter restricts the size of cam lobe that can be pushed throught he head.

So being that I will also need to upgrade the supertech valvetrain to run over 10k rpm, I will just use the tock cmas and supertech VT now, then upgrade all of it down the road.

So, I will buy these parts:

14100-PGE-A00 CAMSHAFT, FR.
$299.13 $248.28
2 14200-PGE-A00 CAMSHAFT, RR.
Manual 03 cl-s

and get this assembled and the turbo installed. I wills tillahve to fab up the intake manifold with the integrated A2W exchanger, but that will come soone enough.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #531
Camshalft bought, new feom Westside Acura, cost per was 180$canuck bucks.

They should areive in another week or two as they were on back order.

Anyway, once cams show up i will take a full turbo parts picture amd post it.

Also,bought a suburu sti, an 9lder Rhd jdm one, this will be used as rd for the awd setup i am chasing. Time will tell how it goes.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #533
Well, my oem 2003 CL-S camshalfts have arrived, they showed up on the Tuesday morning, along with a new shift knob for Tessa's 08 TL-S 6mt.

It was really great as that day also a new tool box showed up for me too, so it was an exciting day all around, except I had to leave after taking delivery of these parts to go to Manitoba to do some re-entry oil wells. Which sucks. but with that said, my next set of days off I will get all the boosty parts together and snap a few pics then I will assemble the built block and heads and whatnot.

Once that is all done, I will fab up the turbo manifold, the A2W intake manifold, the secondary A2W radiator, as well as the rest of the engine mouting setup.

I will also, now that I have all the parts and am ready to correct the moutning, I will install the mr2 steering pump and plumb it all in.

Its funny, as up here car season is over for almost everyone, except me, my season has just begun!!

Here are some pictures of the BNIB cams laid out on the dinning room table.

Also, on this set of days off, I was able to build another interior wall, as well as a engineered counter and udner counter storage area. Its was all painted white, then some banners and signs were hung up.

My friend Matti found a couple Honda Edmonton Indy posters fromt he last inder race in Edmonton a couple years ago, there are quite large and very special as the indy was pulled from edmotnon due to our mayor being a piece of shit. So, Tessa went and got me botht eh Indy signs, and I hung them up in the shop on the new wall. I am quite happy with how everything is turning out, the shop has business rolling in it all the tiem and everyday am able to make small improvements that over time add up to make a huge difference. Here are some pics of the shop and progress!

and the new tool box too!

I will post some really awesome parts and assembly pictures once I get back home.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
Yes, I need more pictures of the prelude on here, but I seldom touch it anymore as im often away at work and when home am building and working on other cars.

But soon, enough, there will be some major updates and allot of pictures to come!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #537
Here is a small update. I decided that I was going to pull the ap1 cluster out fo the car and change it out, as the outputs form the Infinty unit are not compatible with the ap1 cluster, so it would make some weird thigns happen here and there.

So I decided aht I would buy a 2007 AP2 cluster. I chose this one as it is CANBUS and that is what I need for the output signals, I think. I don't really know what I need, but I know the ap1 wont work, and the ap2 07 one will. so we will have to see how it all turns out, in the event I don't lie this or cannot get it to work correctly then I will just buy a racepack and say fuck the world.

Also, I sent both the auto and the manual j series j32a2 cl-s cmashalfts into AMS to have all the lobes read and the full specs of the cams. Its an ongoing debate about which is better, but now I chave conclusive proof that not only are the cmas different from auto to maual but they different with same part number, so that is interesting. One day, whenb I make the 240 it cost me to have them read abck form other j guys online, I will post all eight pages of data for everyone to see.

anyway here are some pics of the cluster.

Also, on Thursday I get 18 days off from the oifeild work, so I intend on assembling my js eries engine and getting the built engine swapep dintot he car to begin fitting the turbo and what not. at the same time I will correc the mounts and do some other small stuff ive been wanting to do, like the mr2 steering pump swap.

until then, keep your stick on the ice!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #539
Wow, thats pretty great!! I havexallot to upsate as well, and will do so in tge next day or teo, including allit of pictures!!!

521 - 540 of 547 Posts