Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 547 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, i have had a couple requests to post my build thread on here. So here goes.

Heres the engine on a pallet, getting the comrpession test done before i received the engine.

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/bouckarooo/?action=view&current=compcly4.mp4

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/bouckarooo/?action=view&current=compcyl1.mp4

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/bouckarooo/?action=view&current=compcyl2.mp4

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/bouckarooo/?action=view&current=compcyl3.mp4

I started by removing all the peripherals, and getting the engine stripped down and ready to go on stand.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

With it on stand, the teardown begins.

I had to wrap it up to take a few weeks to go to work, itjsut sat as is for awhile until i had time to get back at it.

And heres on with one of the piston tops cleaned up a bit.

cylinder head off.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

heres all the pistons tops cleaned up shiny.

the old engine, and the new.

The next few piucs are of the valve springs and retainers coming out, and new ones going in. I chose to use the BC titanium retainers and stage2 cams.

And on goes the head.

Note where the lubricant is.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

now to do oil pump.

here is the old pump off and the area cleaned up, getting ready for the new.

New water pump on.

Here i am getting hte oil pump filled up before i put the pick up on and the oil pan.

You can see here i have installed the Spec lightend flywheel.

Oil pan on, note the small amount of squish showing, it doesnt take much to seal up the pan.

New thermostat.

The next few pics show the issue i ran into suing the AEM tru time gears. the bolts on teh camgears protrude out and interfere with the top timing cover. I cut out the inside of the timing cover then used carbon fiber to seal it closed, as i dont feel comfortable leaving the belt open to the elements.

Just to make sure it fits and seasl nicely i fired on one of my VC.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to get some parts off of the other engine, so i pulled it out of car, even thopugh it is still working, and took some pics of the parts i needed to further the swap.

Here are the CKP sensors that need to be switched, also the timign cog and the balance shaft cog needs to get swapped as well.

Off of this engine, i removed the intake manifold and the peripherals, to swap onto the h23vtec. The centerforce clutch that was on the h22 will be tucked away in storage for later use as i am using a Spec 3+ on this engine, with the t2w4 transmission it will be great combination (and has been so far, very enjoyable, would recomend this clutch).

The next pic is getting the manual tensioner on the engine.

Heres the engine bay all prepped up and waiting the transplant.

The intake manifold on....

Blox 68mm throttle body, note the fasteners used to attach the oem Map sensor and oem TPS sensor.

Heres a picture of the clutch friction disc, and pressure plate going on.

Heres the tranny and engien pre mating.

all ready to go

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Heres the ill fitting Bisi header that i ordered and am still waiting to get repaired.

Heres some powdercoated suspension parts.

new bushings along with the powdercoating.

Powder'd ESP radius Rods.

Before and after powdercoating of the suspension forks.

Here is the fan shroud i had to make to fit my Fluidyne rad and the electric slim fan.

before the finish coat:

and after finish coat:

Heres the old fan setup and the new:

Next up was some suspension work. I removed all my spindles and control arms and bead blasted them down and then powdercoated them. I repalce all the bushings and ball joints(both upper and lower).

heres a picture of all the components powdercoated and eraady to receive bushing ball jonts and new hardware.

The one lower control arm had some thread issues so i had to drill it out and tap it with helicoil/permacoil setup. It worked out great!

Heres the front spindles, before bearin install. As you can see the very bottom of the bearing receiver has sme rust on it form where the bearing wasnt seated allt eh way. I cleaned this out and got them all ready to go. Pic next.

In the next picture i am putting the lower bal joints in. I am using the die's form my ball joint press kit, however, i struggled witht eh large c clamp, so i opted to use my bench vise instead, as it is bolted down.

Ball joints done:

Fortunelty i have a 20ton press in my garage so getting this kind of work done is a fairly easy task for me.

Heres the wheel bearings going in.

I seated the wheel bearings to 6 tons.

Here they are with the new bearings and new spring clips:

Next up, i painted my hubs, NHPB and now they go in:

Here are the spindles installed:

with the rest of the suspension in:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next up is some pictures of some interior work. It been through a couple stages, so heres the pics:

this is right after i got my red s2k seats, i figured it would make neat pic to have both black and red in there hahaha.

Heres the ap2 wheel with ap1 airbag

with some JDM type s door panels.

(yes i know i need a front window)

I added some type s visors as well as cargo light, center console, ap2 sued wheel with DC5 type r airbag.

JDM ss door sills were next

OEM simulated carbon fiber trim set was then installed.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

also added some bb8 chrome bezels to my stock cluster.

Some other add ons i forgot to mention is the CF roof spoiler, TSW nurburgring RF rims, SS 3" custom exhuast with 2 3" id magnaflow resonators and an Apexi N1 exhuast muffler. I will have to upload those pics to photobucket later as those were taken couple years ago after i swapped in the half jdm half h22a4 engine that the h23vtec replaced.

So, i took my Mugen bumper out of the basement and put it on, just really for looks.

before:

After:

I then also installed some LED taillights

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/bouckarooo/?action=view&current=IMG_0797.mp4

The next thing i had to do was isntall my AEM wideband o2.

theni had to mount the gauge. heres before shot:

and after:

I had molded this peice so that it fits nicely on top of the column with no issue. It turned out pretty good although it still blocks some of the speedo and the tach but i dont mind.

heres a picture of the engine in the car.

Oh yes, i forgot, i also have a set of spoon strut tower bars, that i put in. But before i put them in i had the mount brackets powdercaoted a candy red, it was a nifty two part coating process, the first chrome then the second candy clear red. looks pretty good i think. I am very fortunate to have aclsoe freind who wanted to jump into the powdercoating business with me, so most of my parts were done basically free, aside form the cost of all the equiptment(which is substantial).

here they are:

here you can see them installed:

Also, in the picture is the CF battery tie down i made, although the j hooks are kinda sloppy as they are made of 3/8 aluminum rod.

Heres the CF fan shroud installed with CF brackets to mount it to radiator. This peice is one of my favorites as i have never seen anyting like it and it is one off as i destroyed the mold for it.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine is int he car and running, with no real issues. I have kept it OBD2 compliant and currently it is running off of the h22a4 ecm. This is due to the fact that i upgraded the firmware on my AEM sereis2 and now i am having issues getting it to communicate with a windows 7 computer. If its not one thing its the next.

The stock ecm runs this engine well, up to the vtec engagement, then it runs lean, this si due to the cams that are in them. So, until i get teh aem unit reconfigured to work with widows 7 this will have to do, so no vtec or nothing higher than 5000 rpm.

I have some videos of the h23vtec on road, that i will upload maybe tonight or tomorow, depends on how long it takes. But will post some video clips up as the engien sounds very very nice.

With any luck, i should be home around july 19 and i will get the sereis2 squared away and then tune the engine.

Also, im sure i am missing many many mods( like the jdm powerfolding mirrors), that are done to the vehicle, however i can always add those later.

Heres a picture of the Lude jsut kickign it watching the edmonton skyline.

and a couple wicked reflection shots...

the last refelction is of this scenery:

Just some randoms pics that were taken:

^The last picture here, is kinda a funny, one as in it my buddy is tearing down one of his spare ka24de engines; now, im no nissan guy but i had to get in on this as you can find these engines for like almost nothing as scrap left over form sr20 builds. This ka24de is bound for new internals and boost, lots of it hahahaha. It wouldnt be the first nissan i have swapped either, but it will be the first ka i have a hand in building.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Looks fucking great man but I is confooosed...You're going to do a J-Series now?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ if i can get the moutns im gonna, but i doubt it will be on this prelude. I have the purchase of a red one all lined up from another directional hand out in saskatchewan.

This h23 build is kinda a side project as the h22a4 block i pulled out is goign to mike laskey for sleeves and the p13 head that was on it is going to endynn for the head work, then this h23 will go into my civic hatchback, the turbo build will go into the black lude and with any luck, a j swap will follow in a red prelude. Depending on how long it takes for the mounts to be made.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Damn another Alberta lude!! You guys make me want to quit messing with all my other hobbies and cars, and get back to working on my lude!

If there is a meet going up in Edmonton, I need to know, I will come see all you guys!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I uploaded osme of the older pics onto photo bucket, and figured i would fire some shots of the custom 3 inch exhaust.

Heres the parts before:

I used 3" stainless steel pipe, unpolished (as i plan on using my freshly built XX large powdercaoting oven to ceramic coat the whoel exhaust), 2 three inch ID 4 inch od Magnaflow resonators, 2 vibrant Vband flanges, and a real Apexi N1 muffler, as well as 20 some odd feet of pipe and two j hook pipe peices.

^This one is to show the difference between what was and what will be(or is now)

Now some shots of the welds (wish i could take cred for these but nope, my hotrod buddy Jrod pulled the punches)

I used two v band flanges, as well as a ball flange, to getteh exhuast so that i can remove only the sections i need to wheni need to. The v bands rbeak teh exhuast at the engien bay as well as at the Apexi N1 muffler. This is to make it all easy to work on and remove if needed.

Also, i installed three threaded bungs into the collector, as i knew i would eventually need them for a wideband, an 02 and then a spare jsut in case i wanna run an egt.

the finished product, sitting on my lawn

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heres an awesoem pic of me sitting in the 500,000TH honda civic ever made, its a 1987, special edition with red leather seats and roof rack included. This one is special as it has never been driving and has less than 20 KM on the speedo. I tried to buy it form the Honda dealership but they wouldnt accept cash, no matter how big the pile, although they did try to get me into a CRZ cuz they wanted my money.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Damn another Alberta lude!! You guys make me want to quit messing with all my other hobbies and cars, and get back to working on my lude!

If there is a meet going up in Edmonton, I need to know, I will come see all you guys!

There was one last weekend, but Josh, myself and Chris (beans) cars were not present haha. Two are still under construction. Hoping to have one with all our cars near the end of the year but who knows. Next year for sure.

1 - 20 of 547 Posts