Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
h23 snapped belt at idle.how would i align the cams to tdc without a belt? would i need to remove the cams turn to tdc and reinstall them? plz help need to get this thing going again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My belt broke couple of months ago. Haven't done anything since then. Hate working in the cold. Probably turn it into a parts car. Sigh. You may have damage to the head or pistons or cylinders or valves. It is an interference engine. Only way to find out for sure is to pull the head. There's a lot of info about timing belts, repair and replacement on this site. Including a step by step replacement w/ photos. Look around, you'll find it. Loosen the rocker arms and the cams should spin w/o removal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My belt broke couple of months ago. Haven't done anything since then. Hate working in the cold. Probably turn it into a parts car. Sigh. You may have damage to the head or pistons or cylinders or valves. It is an interference engine. Only way to find out for sure is to pull the head. There's a lot of info about timing belts, repair and replacement on this site. Including a step by step replacement w/ photos. Look around, you'll find it. Loosen the rocker arms and the cams should spin w/o removal.
yeah im hoping since i was at idle and the belt wrapped around the crank and stalled it imedietly i might have got lucky.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Who knows? Maybe you got lucky. I was coming to a stop sign coasting at about 30mph. Never heard any noise, it just died. The belt only had about 18k miles though it was 6 years old. Was thinking about pulling the head but just don't have the time. If I don't find another 4th gen prelude I may just have it hauled away. Of course just put a lot of work and parts into it. Too bad, I really liked that little car even if it was auto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts