Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im pretty new here, this is my first post, except the introduction.

So I have been fixing up a 98 vti-s prelude with a h22a5 engine in it. Someone put one sleeve and left the other 3 HRM cylinders as is. The sleeve was out of spec and very poorly done so it ruined the piston (the multiple burnouts this car endured like this probably didnt help either).

I have been lurking this forum for a long time and apart from some unrelated info here and there, I cant find this specific question being asked.

The sleeves will be re-done to match the new pistons, I have a whole set of h22a7, but 3 for the h22a5, will probably have trouble sourcing one in Serbia.

Can I use h22a7 pistons in an h22a5, but keeping the h22a5 head? The info I came across here is that it is possible and it will bring compression up, from 10:1 to 11:1, Im worried if the bulge on a7 pistons will interfere with the valves? Both my mechanic and my machinist are skeptical of this mod, but one says yes its doable, the other says no.

If the answer is yes, what kind of problems or bonuses will I get?

Pics for comparisons: the a7 has a different piston face and a shorter skirt.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,864 Posts
It's possible the valves may make contact. If the valves do not sit at the same angle within the A5 head as they do in the A7, there will be contact. If they do sit at the same angle, worst case is you need a thicker head gasket to compensate for any increased piston height in order to prevent contact.

Seeing as neither of these motors were options here in the states where most of us reside, it's a difficult question to answer 100%.

A reputable shop will check for valve to piston clearance as well as measure for head gasket thickness. The valve angle is the big question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible the valves may make contact. If the valves do not sit at the same angle within the A5 head as they do in the A7, there will be contact. If they do sit at the same angle, worst case is you need a thicker head gasket to compensate for any increased piston height in order to prevent contact.

Seeing as neither of these motors were options here in the states where most of us reside, it's a difficult question to answer 100%.

A reputable shop will check for valve to piston clearance as well as measure for head gasket thickness. The valve angle is the big question.
Thanks for the reply, will try and measure it.

If there is anyone who has done this swap, feel free to comment! Im still interested.

Also a bonus question if I may?

Will I have any overheating problems when I install normal sleeves? How is this handled?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts