Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here I have a 00’ prelude h22a4 bass. A few days ago I can back from work and noticed I had a trail of oil and when I stopped it just poured out. Recently replaced valve cover gasket but I did it properly so no issue there checked 3 times. I have some pictures of where a gasket came loose. Wondering how I should approach this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My experience is with the 3rd gen motor but suspect the basics still hold true. If you're having oil leak out, the problem is NOT just a bad gasket on the timing belt cover. That cover just protects your timing belt from grime. If you are leaking oil, its coming from an engine seal behind the cover. Could be cam shaft seals, oil pump, front main seal. You have to pull the cover to see where you're leaking. If you just seal up the timing cover, you wont see the leak but it will still be ocurring internally. If the oil gets on your timing belt, the rubber will soften, eventually your timing belt will fail and you'll bend a few exhaust valves when it happens. You have a significant repair currently but if you ignore that leak you'll end up with a major repair and have to pull your head. The timing belt seals are almost cosmetic, that's not your main problem.

Why did the valve cover gasket need replacing? Just a leak or did you have some work done under the valve cover? If the latter, I'd suspect the camshaft seals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts