1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, first post yo's.

So, every 7-14 days the following occurs:
  1. I smell burning oil
  2. Sometimes My oil pressure indicator light on the dash begins to flicker.
  3. Only once I stop and turn the car off I hear a hissing coming from around the throttle body.
  4. Simultaneously my engine coolant in it's entirety comes from a location that is invisible to me and hits the ground. FAST.
Oddly, except for the instance where my oil pressure indicator began flickering, my engine does not overheat. Also note that when the oil pressure indicator began flickering, I was not losing any oil. At least, not before I stopped and turned off my vehicle. The engines coolant was completely empty, however, prior to shutting off car.

This event has no constant variable. It doesnt happen every time I use the car. I use my car all day every day.

Also
  • The radiator does not function like it should. Meaning the coolant never visibly flows.
  • The radiator fans only engage intermittently and only when the A/C button is on.
  • And when the A/C button is on, the radiator cap never gets hot and even when the engine temp is warm and has been running for 30+minutes I can take it right off (when the A/C button is on).
Now that I type the bullet list up, could those observations be occuring merely because the outside temperature is 20°F where I am.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,381 Posts
Do you have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil? My first thought would be head gasket.

Source the coolant leak. If you're unable to visibly see it, I would check the crossover pipe behind the motor or even the heater lines under the manifold. Air coming from the throttle body sounds like crankcase pressure - so you could potentially have 2 issues going on here.

Test the thermostat
Try replacing the radiator cap

Do you know what your coolant readings are with a scanner or even bluetooth obd2 reader with the torque app?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I had a master rebuild done on the engine last year. Not stating that errors couldn't have been made setting me up for another head gasket failure, but it is unlikely. I do not have milky oil or white exhaust, nor a misfire. It appears my valve cover gasket was leaking. This was my fault, I didn't torque the valve covers bolts down correctly. I've also developed an oil leak at the oil filter. Would that cause my compression issue. And I will get back to you on the thermostat and rad cap test.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: oil pressure indicator light, verify the oil pressure sender leade makes good contact. If it's loose and vibrates you'll get an intermittent idiot light on the dash. Of course this presumes you actually have oil in the engine.

If there is no air moving, and the cabin heat is OFF, idling the engine will eventually trigger the radiator fans as coolant temperature rises. Or you can get a cup of boiling water and remove the temp sender in the thermostat housing, dunk the sender in the >180˚F water and it should trigger the fans if the system's in working order.

Generally speaking the coolant and oil systems are independent unless you have a head gasket issue. So solve one set of problems before addressing the other.

Finally, the hissing sound by the throttle body could also be a vacuum leak. Chase down all the vac lines and the various small coolant lines that hang around the throttle/IN manifold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts