Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 96 prelude SI H23A1

Swap: H22A1 w/ P13 ECU, OBD2 to OBD1 Adapter.

Using the H23 engine harness, h23 dizzy with external coil.

Swap install is complete, tried to start it but had no luck. The engine turns over but there is no spark. :lame:

Triple checked all the fuses under that dash and in the bay, checked all the grounds, checked main relay.

There is no spark from the coil so we tried a coil from a friends lude that is running and still no spark.

Electronics inside the car power up just fine, and fuel pump primes.

I thought maybe it was just a bad ECU so I tried the one from the H23 but same result. :mad:

anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
might be a stupid question but you didnt forget the ground on the thermostat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how are you testing for spark ?
started by checking at the spark plugs nothing there so we moved back to the wire from the coil, nothing there, so we moved back to the harness that plugs into the coil, tested it with a volt meter and there is power, so we then took the coil from a buddy's lude and it still didnt spark.

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
no dizzy is obd2, from the previous motor.
Well there you go. You have your awnser, now here is why.

OBD2 dizzies do not have the TDC sensor built into them, they are in the oil pump. OBD1 dizzies have this sensor. So your computer is not getting any reading at all for the TDC, so that is why it wont start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

OBD2 dizzies do not have the TDC sensor built into them, they are in the oil pump. OBD1 dizzies have this sensor. So your computer is not getting any reading at all for the TDC, so that is why it wont start.
god i hope thats the problem, can i fix that without a new dizzy?

and if thats what it is, how come when i use my old ECU (obd2) still no spark?

·
Registered
20 Posts
you have to get the oil pump housing,not the oil pump itself(or gearset) but the housing, i just had to do this on my h22a1 swap to an f22b dohc. After you put the new housing in make sure you set everything back to TDC. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
851 Posts

x2! ODB1 Hondas have them inside the distributor unlike OBD2s.

·
Registered
419 Posts
haha i figure its your tdc/ckp.
like everyone said. u can either go with a OBD2 oil pump + the sensor. or u can cut your harness and splice some wires and use a OBD1 H23 dizzy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha i figure its your tdc/ckp.
like everyone said. u can either go with a OBD2 oil pump + the sensor. or u can cut your harness and splice some wires and use a OBD1 H23 dizzy.
Which wud you say is the easier and most importantly cheaper method?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts