Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've been trying to find the best full engine rebuild kits for the h22a.. and i'm unsure who to go with.. i wanted honda oem.. but daym there expensive.. and i need everything since i'm building the engine from scratch since the block just got golden eagle sleeves...

and since its goin into my 3rd gen prelude.. i want to stay within stock specs on the rebuild so i can hopefully pass smog... and the ref.. unless anybody knows of what aftermarket parts would still be fine...

So far these are the only two kits i could find but i don't kno how the quality is..

http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-rebuild-kits-honda.shtml

Major Engine Kit: contains complete gasket set, set of pistons and rings, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers, timing belt, balance shaft bearings (if applicable), and a set of expansion plugs (does not contain camshaft, timing kit or oil pump). Pistons & Rings: Std., .020, .040. Bearings: Std., 10, 20, 30.

Gold Engine Kit: (Major kit as above) with oil pump

Re-Ring Kit: contains complete gasket set, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers (if applicable) and a ring set. Rings: Std., .020, .040.

2.2L 93/96 Prelude Vtec
H22A1 16 valve DOHC
Fuel Inj.

Major Kit -
EKH28M
$397.68

Gold Kit -
EKH28G
$543.74(93/95)
EKH28BG
$543.74(96)

Re-ring Kit -
EKH28R
$279.29

---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rpmrons.com/Hondakits1.html#2.2

EKM = MAIN ENGINE KIT contains complete gasket set, set of pistons and premium rings, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers (if applicable), timing belt, balance shaft bearings (if applicable), and a set of expansion plugs. (does not contain: camshaft, timing kit or oil pump)

EKR = RE-RING KIT contains complete gasket set, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers (if applicable) and a premium ring set.

Prelude VTEC 1993-96 2157cc H22A1 engine
2.2L F.I. 16-valve DOHC 4 main kit EKH28M $517.05
2.2L F.I. 16-valve DOHC 4 re-ring kit EKH28R $377.04

------------------------------------------------------------------

I've checked hondaautomotiveparts.com and i can't figure out exactly what parts i need.. and seem a whole lot more expensive...

the plan is i'm gonna pick up the block and head from afterburners in vegas.. the issue is i want his help to either put the crank and pistons and piston rings in.. what else can i do while still having the block and head separate? i kno i can't get the valve springs and retainers on unless the head is on the block so any ideas u guys have would help a lot.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i am not 100% sure bro but im thinking with a stock exhaust it will be hard not to pass smog...for a little more power over stock though i would throw in a set of higher compression pistons though nothing major...other than that im just at a loss of info

·
Registered
23 Posts
i am in the process of rebuilding an h22 myself...i would recommend you stick with OEM parts (gaskets, seals, rings, etc...), my opinion is they last longer then aftermarket parts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are u buying them 1 at a time or do u kno which oem gasket kit to get? i was on hondaautomotiveparts.com but there were different part numbers for there gasket kits..i heard that a lower compression engine will pass smog better.. so do u guys think turbo pistons at around 9-1 compression could pass? so i could turbo it and take off the turbo for smog?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol.. yeah i kno this is alot for me to get into since i'm new to engine building and i'm building it from scratch... i already have a p72 ecu chipped with uberdata.. but i don't plan on using it at the ref because i kno they will check my ecu to make sure i have to correct one.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
thats ne good thing about Virginia...yeah everything that isnt oem spec or equivalent on a car is illegal but we dont have to pass a smog test or atleast where i am at.....hell most places here just check you lights and hit the horn and if they work you pass

·
HOME GROWN HOMIE
5,819 Posts
i dont have to worry about any of that shit.... ive known my mechanic since i was like 4 years old he passes anything for me.... i passed my emissions test with a header test pipe and cat back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts