Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got a question here. nEed to know if the h22a1 or h22a4s all use hte same headgasket as the h22a. because I have a H22a and am trying to lower my compression w/ a thicker headgasket for boost. I need to know which headgasket I can use and where to get it from. I hear that H22a is closed deck and the others (usdm h22s) are open deck. I just want to know if the head gaskets are all the same.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anything?? comon i know u guys have replaced headgaskets before.... this is the boosted section i kno yall arent running stock compression...

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
obd1 h22a's are closed deck. obd2 h22a's are open deck. same as the h22a1 vs h22a4.
if you have a closed deck h22a, use an h22a1 HG. if you have an open deck h22a, use an h22a4 HG.

www.raceeng.com
^they have all different thickness HG's

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
obd1 h22a's are closed deck. obd2 h22a's are open deck. same as the h22a1 vs h22a4.
if you have a closed deck h22a, use an h22a1 HG. if you have an open deck h22a, use an h22a4 HG.

www.raceeng.com
^they have all different thickness HG's
Wow:smile:!! Thanks man i appreciate it. I been lookin around through different headgaskets for almost a month now. then didnt know what difference it made between open/closed deck. Thanks man... I'll be ordering tomorrow.

·
Registered
472 Posts
ive heard it isnt a good idea to lower your compression through a head gasket.. any imput?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
ive heard it isnt a good idea to lower your compression through a head gasket.. any imput?
i dont know where you heard that. its one of 3 ways to lower compression, and is just as good as the other 2 ways. if done properly (proper typical HG replacement procedure) theres no issues that can happen strictly due to the different thickness.
the only thing that should be known is that depending on how much thicker you go, it will affect the cam timing a slight amount, which wont damage anything but it may or may not affect power slightly in a good or bad way, so cam gears would be a good idea to get it back to stock cam timing, or to play with on the dyno for best results

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i was gona order the .040 size HG. I called my dad last night so he can place the order cuz we all use the same paypal. but today he told me that he went with the .045 cuz he thinks its better. I dont think it'll really matter my CR shuld still be around 10.1 but yeah. we'll see what happens on the dyno.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and I dont see why a thicker headgasket isn't a reliable way to lower compression. sticking different size pistons in teh same stock sleeves culd definately result in a worst result. like destroying your sleeves. its just alot cheaper to do HG if u only wana lower the CR by a little. otherwise I'd just rebuild the whole bottom end and run high boost. which I'm not doing either of the 2^^

1 - 9 of 9 Posts