Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to know what ways/how you guys mounted the newer prelude/accord shifter plate on our 3rd gen's. because i got a accord shifter plate and it has a part under the shiftstick that bulges out like 2 inches and the stock one has a flat ass botttom, so how did you guys mount it? i noticed also there's like a hole like for a integra b-series motor shift linkage with a cover glued on directly under the shiter i mean shifterplate. i took that cover off with a claw hammer,looks like its deep enough for that 2 inch bulge,don't know about the 4ws shaft though. oh! yeah plus i had to cut a couple of notches on the newer shifterplate to align it with atleast 3 of the 4 original holes,because two freaking tower looking thingys between the seats on the center console were in the way. so do the newer prelude shifters have that same bulge on the bottom too?

another question,is it possible to use the original shift cables with the new shifter to get the newer shifting pattern also would have to reverse the cable connections on the tranny.

i got more q's but i have to go some where real quick i'll be back with more soon.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
where the heck are all the h22 swapped luders when you need one? i've heard people say this and that about their h22's, where are you today?

·
OT ****
1,055 Posts
you have to use either 4g cables or the accord cables and you can run em through the holes or under the car i dunno about with 4ws tho. just drill throug and make new holes and put nuts on the bolts you will need someone else to hold the nut while you turn ontop or just tack weld new ones on there. i believe all this is right if not please correct me.

·
Banned
5,085 Posts
where the heck are all the h22 swapped luders when you need one? i've heard people say this and that about their h22's, where are you today?
To bump it and get upset that no one respond in less than 1hr 30min is kinda rediculious.

They will be on or you can always PM one of them as well.

Mike (H4L)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have not installed the 4th gen prelude shifter yet. I'm using the 4th gen cable and 3rd gen shifter. It works however the shift pattern is backwards.
Before installing the 4th gen shifter I had the same exact questions. Will it hit the 4ws shaft? Well... I believe there are people who have done this and have not had that problem. I'm planning on doing this. I believe there is actually a template floating around but you could always make one yourself. You should be fine, oh and yes, you need to use 4th gen cables.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you have to use either 4g cables or the accord cables and you can run em through the holes or under the car i dunno about with 4ws tho. just drill throug and make new holes and put nuts on the bolts you will need someone else to hold the nut while you turn ontop or just tack weld new ones on there. i believe all this is right if not please correct me.

yeah i got a complete 4gen accord shifter and linkage. just also wanted to see if there was any difference between 4rd gen accord and 4rd gen prelude(easier to mount in the 3rd gen with less mods.) because i can get the prelude complete shifter and linkage for like $10 or less. i didn't have time to look at the 4rd gen prelude shifter to compare it to the 4rd gen accord shifter that i have right now.

there was also newer accord(94-97) shifter and linkages but they had plastic parts in the shifter mechanism so i decided to go for the 93 accord shift/linkage all metal parts. i don't want any parts breaking when it matters the most.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
To bump it and get upset that no one respond in less than 1hr 30min is kinda rediculious.

They will be on or you can always PM one of them as well.

Mike (H4L)

actually i'm not upset, i'm more likeeeee uuuuhhhh anxious to know so i can jump on it first thing tomorrow.

cause i have'nt driven it in almost 2 years(blown b21a1) you know how that gets sometimes, withdrawl sort of speak.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not installed the 4th gen prelude shifter yet. I'm using the 4th gen cable and 3rd gen shifter. It works however the shift pattern is backwards.
Before installing the 4th gen shifter I had the same exact questions. Will it hit the 4ws shaft? Well... I believe there are people who have done this and have not had that problem. I'm planning on doing this. I believe there is actually a template floating around but you could always make one yourself. You should be fine, oh and yes, you need to use 4th gen cables.

there are ways to prevent that bulge under the 4rd gen shifter, one is to cut a couple of notches on the shifter plate to wedge it into the same position as the original and have to notch one of the mounting holes on the plate cuz only 3 out of 4 match. all of this is pretty easy with a $30 4 inch angle grinder.

with the plate bolted down, shim the 4 bolts that hold the shifter stick to the plate as high as you want, so that you don't even have to open the hole thats got the cover on it. however i like shortshifters and don't want to feel like i'm reaching for the rearview mirror when i'm gonna grab the shift nob.

i guess it's a matter of taste and the nob is not that high. thats just what i feel.

so it will all be IN the car without a hole needed.

i've done that above ^^^ execpt shim the shifter stick, i like the shifter short.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Jeff,can you please confirm if there is any difference in the lenght for 3rd and 4th gen cables,cause i am using all my 3rd gen parts(cables and plate) so my shift pattern is also backwards,but i am curious about the length of the 4th gen ones.the only modification i had to do is to modify a bit the aluminium piece on the tranny,that holds down the cables.but i have some clutch issues or maybe some shifting issues,cause i feel my gears go a little bit to hard.i assume it is the clutch,but maybe the cables have to do something with it.

by the way,how about your clutch guys,do you have any problems shifting?
i mean how is your higher clutch pump holding or i should upgrade to H22 clutch pump?when i press the clutch it feels like it is not pressed all the way,but the car doesn't roll after a while.it is just more difficult to change gears.

·
Registered
449 Posts

can you explain how it is backwards?
you mean like reverse is where first is supposed to be and third is where 4th is supposed to be?

·
Registered
411 Posts
you mean like reverse is where first is supposed to be and third is where 4th is supposed to be?
1st is where 2nd is.
the 2nd is where 1-st is.
3rd is where 4th is.
4th is where 3rd is.
5th is where reverse is.
reverse is where 5th is.

:)kinda confusing on the net,but i assure you it is plenty simple and i do think it is better than conventional.i have never missed a 2nd with that pattern,which happened few times with normal pattern.

the old BMW E30 Evolution(M3) had the opposite pattern just like mine now:)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I use 4th Gen Prelude Shifter and Cables.

it goesi n Pairs... if you are using 4ht gne Shifter you need 4th gen Cables. If you are using Accord shifter you need Accord cables.

here is how my mechanic did it. (the page even contains a downloadable PDF file with a printable "cutout" that shows you exactly what you need to cut in your body.)

http://www.b17gsr.ca/2008/01/installing-the-h22-shifter/

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

3rd gen lude:
well, the shifter sticks have 2 shifter lever at the base,one for each cable(2 cables total) on the 3rd gen, when you move the stick left/right that only activates the DRIVER'S SIDE cable to move then when you put it in gear the PASSENGER SIDE cable moves to engage the actual gear.

4rd gen is a mirror image of that.

4rd gen lude:
when you move the stick left/right, that only activates the RIGHT PASSENGER SIDE cable to move then when you put it in gear the DRIVER'S SIDE moves to engage the actual gear.

in other words...

3rd gen: passenger side cable is the main gear engager.

4rd gen: driver side cable is the main gear engager.

or is that the other way around?

anyway its a mirror image.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
If you use the accord cables, you need the accord shifter...

If you use 4GP cables, use the 4GP shifter box.

And to make it fit, use spacers under the shifter box and hammer the steering shaft hump to make clearance.

hahaha! yeah i just don't want to accidently grab the rearview mirror instead of the shift nob. lol!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
guys,i am using 3rd gen cables with accord '91 tranny and it works ok i believe. i only modified the alluminium piece on the tranny that holds the cables,cause the stopper clamp on one of the cables was in different place

can you get a pic' of the tranny bracket with the shifter cables? and a pic' of the tranny code?

·
Registered
411 Posts
can you get a pic' of the tranny bracket with the shifter cables? and a pic' of the tranny code?

you can see how one of the cable comes a bit too short to me held correctly.
for this ALU holder i am talking,but here is before the modification.basically the lower cable stopper was cut and welded next to the upper in order to be able to use the spring for stopping that cable to move.
the problem is that i don't have picture of the modified result of it.i will make one when my sister returns home with the camera

haha,i love pictures and for once i was smart enough to make a lot of them:)
here is the bracket after modification:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
when you get your hands on the camara can you post some more pic's of where the end of the cables are connected to the tranny shifting mechanism/lever thingy's,thanks and nice lude btw. thats the color i want to paint mine nice deep blue its currently bloodshot red it looks ok just not my color taste.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts