Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: Future updates will be posted here: http://www.prelude3g.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14

Although I completed my H22 swap back in 2012, I've never really been happy with how the engine fits in the bay. In fact I just don't enjoy driving the car the way it is, it's been months since I even started it.

However the H22 simply fits as good as it can, without cutting stuff... so lets do some cutting.

Too much overhang, I must fix this:

19 APR 15:

I pulled the engine today, but before I did I took some photos and measurements.

RH axle cup to subframe:

You may have read about my escapades with the tranny fill bolt in my last build thread, here you can see the current clearance. I will rectify this:

Tranny case end vs. chassis. I should be mostly ok on clearance, maybe a little grinding and cutting:

LH halfshaft:

Oil filter clearance, I will need to cut a bit out of the subframe to keep filter changes easy:

This one shows the clearance on the rear mount bracket, cutting required here as well:

Diff housing from above, I've already marked where I intend to do my initial cuts:

Under intake manifold, tons of room:

Valve cover will be fine too:

Ready to be picked:

Here I've marked where I will initially cut, there is going to be a large amount of work in the RH lower control arm area. I need to cut out a big section, but construct the new part so as to keep strength so the subframe doesn't flex. :

I won't know exactly how far back I can push the engine until I make my first cuts and see how much dead space there is inside the subframe. I can only go so far before I run into the steering rack.

Other good stuff is once I get the engine further back in the bay I will also be able to raise it up a little bit. I plan on trimming part of my hood support structure for more height still.

I also should be able to ditch the traction bar and switch back to the stock radius rod setup, which I like better.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Having a rebuilt b20a5 in the garage I haven't read up on the h22a swap intensely. Are you using a jdm tranny? Are there different jdm trannies? Sorry for the questions just I know rev rage had problems with the fill bolt and I believe he had a jdm transmission. I see you have az-race mounts. Sorry I forget the name but Sean's new ones are the same position I think? Correct?

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having a rebuilt b20a5 in the garage I haven't read up on the h22a swap intensely. Are you using a jdm tranny? Are there different jdm trannies? Sorry for the questions just I know rev rage had problems with the fill bolt and I believe he had a jdm transmission. I see you have az-race mounts. Sorry I forget the name but Sean's new ones are the same position I think? Correct?
The factory LSD trannys have a wider case where the differential sits, leading to very tight clearance on the fill bolt. Sean's new mounts and the ESP mounts both put the motor in the same place as the AZ mounts.

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20 APR 15:

First cuts:

More or less finished with cutting here:

Engine test fit:

That's it for now, I might get some more done later today.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice car! And may I ask why you don't enjoy driving it the way it was? Is it because you were scraping your undercarriage because of how low the engine sits? Can't wait to see the finished product!

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
˩udePoweЯ;3895089 said:
Nice car! And may I ask why you don't enjoy driving it the way it was? Is it because you were scraping your undercarriage because of how low the engine sits? Can't wait to see the finished product!
Yeah, every time I'd drive it I would hit the downpipe on something.

21 APR 15:

Got a little more done today, started rebuilding the subframe:

The oil filter side was easy, I just cut off the lip and welded the seam:

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
22 APR 15:

Getting there:

Mostly done here. Once I have the mounts finalized I will add some more support near the lower arm:

Engine test fit #2:

RH chassis will need some trimming for the tranny:

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The current clearance is probably going to be the same as before modifications. But the subframe could always be cut more behind the filter if needed.

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
24 APR 15:

Rear mount tacked up:

Here you can see how much higher the bore is than the AZ race mount. Maybe a little optimistic but I can always shorten it:

Here is the top view showing how much further back the bore is:

Test fit in car:

Chassis adjusted for tranny clearance:

Finished more welding on the subframe:

I'm going to try and finish the welding tomorrow and do another engine test fit. My plan is to mount the engine using only the rear mount then place a jack under the engine. Then I can close the hood and swing the engine up to it using the rear mount as a hinge. After that it's just a matter of marking the hood support for cutting.

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
25 APR 15:

Finished subframe:

The rear mount did turn out to be overly optimistic so I shortened it 1/2". Then I did another engine test fit and checked where I needed to cut the hood support. To see how much I gained I raised the engine a bit, set the hood on it and then measured:

Chop chop:

Hot damn, gained a full inch on just the hood support:

Inside:

As it sits:

After looking at all the clearances I'm starting to wonder if my initial instinct of raising the rear mount was wrong. Maybe I need to make the rear mount shorter than the AZ mount and have the front of the engine higher. Giving it a little rear lean should rotate the diff housing and axle cup further away from the subframe. Then I will have room to push it back a bit more, which will free more space above the engine allowing me to raise it again...

Anyways, I'll test this theory tomorrow. Because right now I'm about to eat me some Thai food.

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
26 APR 15:

Got the subframe and chassis modifications primered:

My idea of shortening the rear mount and raising the front of the motor did work. Here is the finalized rear mount:

After some work with the tape measure I've got the motor in it's final position, here are some pics of clearances:

Hood clearance is good. The closest part is the section of the valve cover between the plastic harness cover and the spark plug canyon. That has around 1/8" clearance right now. Everywhere else is 1/4" or more.

Here is the current underhang vs the stock front subframe:

Stock B20:

Osvaldo's H22 swap with subframe spacing:

This week is mount fabrication.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Have you thought about measurements for replication for you or for others? It just occurred to me before you get the engine for the final time.

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you thought about measurements for replication for you or for others? It just occurred to me before you get the engine for the final time.
Yes I will be modeling them in Solidworks before the final install.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
cool

·
Memento Mori
7,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any issues with shifter lever clearance? Looks damn close
I'm just going to have to move the clutch damper. It's good otherwise.

29 APR 15:

Finished front mount setup.

The rest of the steel I need to finish the mounts is supposed to arrive tomorrow. If all turns out well I hope to have the mounts finished before next week.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm just going to have to move the clutch damper. It's good otherwise.

29 APR 15:

Finished front mount setup.

The rest of the steel I need to finish the mounts is supposed to arrive tomorrow. If all turns out well I hope to have the mounts finished before next week.

Why not just remove the dampener completely?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts