Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a low miles h22 motor. I have a 97 prelude with the h22a4 longblock (black top). Have 200k motors seen its better days so im gonna buy a good motor. How hard is it to swal the same motor? Iv never done a swap. Is it possible to do with never doing a swap befor? Since its the same motor it would be bolt off bolt on right? Someone pleas point me in the right direction!!

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Depends. Is the other motor an H22a4 or another variant of the H motor?

If it's the exact same motor, and matches your car (SH blocks differ from Base blocks) it will be a straight swap. Although I always recommend changing oil seals etc prior to installing a newer motor.

First time through with the right tools - i'd say it's doable within a day, depending if you're mechanically inclined or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the sh model h22a4, on hmotors its the 97-98 longblock with the black valve cover. And as far as seapping iv done alot of stuff to my hondas so with the right stuff i shouldnt be bad. Im hoping it will be an easy swap with a tune.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RustyBit

Found a low miles h22 motor. I have a 97 prelude with the h22a4 longblock (black top). Have 200k motors seen its better days so im gonna buy a good motor. How hard is it to swal the same motor? Iv never done a swap. Is it possible to do with never doing a swap befor? Since its the same motor it would be bolt off bolt on right? Someone pleas point me in the right direction!!
Are you mechanically minded? Have you ever done things like removing driveshafts etc.? Do you have access to an engine hoist? Is it manual or auto? It is straightforward but not a simple hour or two job. With a hoist you can literally lift the engine and transmission out as one unit, personally, manuals are easier, after undoing and removing many components, draining all fluids etc. You can leave the air con compressor in as well as the condenser, it is easier with the bonnet/ hood off. Then swap the tranny over and drop it back in. Sounds simple huh!. Good luck, may the force be with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It’s pretty easy, as long as you have space and time, it’s pretty straight forward. I swapped an SH motor into my base and it took a few weekends but that was mainly from waiting for parts(not gonna pay parts store prices) and making a half shaft mount bracket(only difference besides oil filter location on SH). I’d say go for it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts