Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently bought a 00 auto base Prelude (Stock except for an AEM intake) with 70k miles on it and need to ask you pros for some advice. I tried searching but couldn't find anything that helped me.

The Problem:
The car ran fine until a couple of weeks ago when i encountered a weird "grinding like" noise coming from the front passenger side near the wheel area. The noise only appears when i am at a complete stop and start to accelerate. When im at high speeds i dont hear it. At first i thought it was an axle/wheel issue but everything looks fine So im guessing its either the intake that is making that grinding noise or worst (something is wrong with it engine wise). Is it possible for an intake to make "grinding like" noises? sorry im a complete noob =/. The wierd thing is... sometimes it doesnt make the noise at all but recently its doing it alot, usually when i accelerate. inputs/suggestions would be much appreciated. thank you =).

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
Have your checked your brake pads or even to see if the rotors are warpped?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
yes. i forgot to mention it also makes a slight noise when putting it from Park to Drive. The noise is really annoying.
blah if rotors warped it then you'd definitely know or not..

maybe you only hear it a low mph because its quiet, once you go faster you cant here it because its masked..it could be something dumb like a rotor shield that goes behind it would be bent and rubbing on the rotor..its easy to fix because the metal is like tin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

maybe you only hear it a low mph because its quiet, once you go faster you cant here it because its masked..it could be something dumb like a rotor shield that goes behind it would be bent and rubbing on the rotor..its easy to fix because the metal is like tin

hmm alright ill go check it out..thank you very much guys. can somebody confirm if intakes can make any grinding noises? like around the filter area. (maybe intake is defective or something)

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Never heard of an intake making a grinding noise... lofl

Car shifts fine? SS auto trannies are ticking time bombs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never heard of an intake making a grinding noise... lofl

Car shifts fine? SS auto trannies are ticking time bombs.

yeah car shifts fine...ill probably take it to the shop tomorrow to see whats up. lame...ill keep yall updated on whats happening. thanks again. PP rocks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This reminds me of an old problem I had similar to this. I was kinda experiencing the same thing with the 'grind' noise of sorts. Checked everything I could think of to check.. then took a look at the mount bolt for my AEM intake (V2), and the nut was missing. The rubbing on the bolt was making the the noise I was hearing.. lol. Picked up another 11m nut, all good now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This reminds me of an old problem I had similar to this. I was kinda experiencing the same thing with the 'grind' noise of sorts. Checked everything I could think of to check.. then took a look at the mount bolt for my AEM intake (V2), and the nut was missing. The rubbing on the bolt was making the the noise I was hearing.. lol. Picked up another 11m nut, all good now.

very nice. ima check for loose bolts tomorrow =) thanks.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

yea thats possible too. i know when my wheel bearing was going bad i usually didn't here it at higher speeds.
have you tired coasting it in neutral on a quiet day to listen to it closer?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I doubt its a wheel bearing, they usually just sound like rolling thunder. If you wanna check that out, take it too an empty parking lot, and just drive slow and swerve back and forth, too see if the noise gets louder from one side too the other.. I hated doing my front wheel bearings, such a p.i.t.a.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts