Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
I am brand new to the forums. I just purchased an '88 Si 4WS for $1400 (automatic, unfortunately) but I'll take what I can get for now. I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to things automotive; however I'm ready and willing to learn. My Lude has 160,000 miles. There is some rust on the quarterpanels (suggestions for slowing this/fixing it until I can get it to a body shop -- I'm no welder). It's in great shape otherwise. I have a few questions, I'm hoping someone out there can provide some insight into. The S3 light continually blinks, the S4 button does not engage anything (I understand this to be overdrive?). Is there an easy way to tell if the timing belt has been changed recently? The e-brake does not go down all the way, however, it is not engaged (the brake light is always on, unless I push down on it). Is there a way to fix this? When pushed down, it springs back up. That's all I can think of for now. I absolutely love this car. I had to have it the minute I saw it. The four wheel steering is especially neat. The car feels solid and I'm incredibly happy with my purchase. A new lude fanatic is born! Thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions.

JCBesaw

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not sure about the S3 blinking, you could do a search, I know it's happened to others on here. It's like an engine code for the automatic transmission I think.

When in doubt about the timing belt, best thing to do is get it replaced. Also make sure all the seals are replaced, new timing belt tensioner, and new water pump since they're in the same location as the timing belt so you won't have to have the job done twice or more.

The handbrake not going down sounds like the cables are stuck solid to the rear calipers. The best way to fix it would be to get new rear calipers and knock the cables loose from the old calipers. Actually, it might only be one side.

The car sounds like it's from a place where they use salt on the roads in the winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.